• no

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was posting this to see if this happens at all petcos or just the one near me. Post all experiences you have had with this program.
At my petco, in the large tank where they keep the koi, there are often smaller fish swimming around. I asked the manager of the store what they were there for, and he explained to me that they were adoption fish. I had never heard of that before, so I started going to that store every week.
One day I was there and I saw 5 perfect looking endlers in there. I was surprised to see them as I have been wanting them forever and immediately asked the manager how much they were. He told me they were $0.50. I promptly bought all of them.
They appeared to be a year old when I bought them a year ago, and they are still doing great now. They dont appear to be hybrids, but i cant know for sure.
Does anyone else have successes with petcos adoption tank. Does it exist in all stores?

Last edited by a moderator:

Voracious David

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well there's a rather large tank at my Petco with koi, but as there's no sign above it declaring "Adoption Tank," "Up for Adoption," or anything of the likes I'm not sure o_O

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well there's a rather large tank at my Petco with koi, but as there's no sign above it declaring "Adoption Tank," "Up for Adoption," or anything of the likes I'm not sure o_O
Mine didnt have that either. I just noticed the fish there one day and the guy said they were adoption fish. I assume that meant people who couldnt care for them gave them up, but I cannot be too sure

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have three area Petcos and none of them have adoption tanks. The concept is totally foreign in my neck of the woods as I actually spoke with a manager at one of the PetCo's and he had no idea what that was or that it was even a thing. I would love to have them in my area though. Especially considering how many craigslist adds I see all the time about 'fish tank with fish! For sale' or 'I don't want these fish anymore!'

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was at a Petco Thursday and saw the same thing. Perhaps when they get too big they just wait for anybody to take it away from them.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My local place will take unwanted fish, but I haven’t really seen “adoption” tanks at the chain stores.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don' know how they get them. All I know is that I got 5 beautiful Endlers from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oops, I votes yes but actually I saw an adoption tank at a PetSmart. It is only one out of 3 that I frequently visit and the best one of those three.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my petcos has about 5 tanks that they use for fish adoptions. People can bring in whatever they want, no questions asked. I've bought 3 of my assassin snails, sunfish, some guppies, and cichlids from them.

Although on the other hand, if I absolutely had to rehome a fish, there's a local club that will help. I wouldn't let my fish be put in the adoption tanks because you never know what happens to them after.

Edit: I have those same looking endlers. They were only labeled as male endler when I bought them.

KarenSoCal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Petco has an adoption tank, but it is a tank they have plants in that are for sale. They do not label it, except for the plant labels/prices. I saw a baby platy in there...employee gave her to me for free. I always take a look...never know what I'll find. I always quarantine new fish, so don't mind adopting one.

SpookaSpooka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't seen them at any of the Petcos I go to, but my PetSmart allowed me to adopt a betta with severe Popeye (hopefully only popeye) today for no cost, and I was ready to pay for her. So I guess that's a similar thing?

Dreshanda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never seen an adoption tank in any Petco I've lived near, but I know they exist. Petco has always been my favorite pet store, unless I can find a dedicated pet store (such as a fish-only shop, another store for just cats and dogs, and there was this other one when I lived in Delaware that was strictly reptiles.) From my understanding, Petco was actually started by, and I think still owned by, Drs. Foster and Smith. Two actual veterinarians. This, in my opinion, makes for a store that focuses on pet health and well-being, rather than PetsDumb, whose employees seem to think that keeping Bettas with their African cichlids is a great idea. Among other attrocities, seen in dozens of stores, not just one.

Anyway, I think the adoption tanks are a great idea. Hard to maintain, for sure, but they give fish owners a great place to get rid of unwanted fish that they would have just flushed down the drain or tossed in the trash otherwise. I wish there were more Petco stores with those set ups, but it seems pretty rare, sadly.

TetraJ

Reaction score
I saw one yesterday. They had a guppy and a fancy goldfish of some sort for adoption. They will take any fish if they have the tank space. Will be giving up my comets if they have the space.

brousecasey12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
at my Petco they have hamsters for adoption... aka these hamsters have been in there awhile and if they don’t sell there snake food they were 50% off!

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
at my Petco they have hamsters for adoption... aka these hamsters have been in there awhile and if they don’t sell there snake food they were 50% off!
I find that difficult to believe. Snakes are likely fed thawed rodents, never live.

brousecasey12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I find that difficult to believe. Snakes are likely fed thawed rodents, never live.
I mean, I’ve heard a story where a manager took one home to feed to his snake... my mistake

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I mean, I’ve heard a story where a manager took one home to feed to his snake... my mistake
That sounds like something someone would do, actually. To elaborate a little more, I meant that for a large, well-known corporation like Petco, it would make bad publicity, if they allowed that. It would likely be against their policy, even. But I can see a manager doing exactly that to feed a personal pet.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was told by an employee once they feed the nasty ones to any snakes they have that will eat them. They aren't saleable and they can't send them back so....

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was told by an employee once they feed the nasty ones to any snakes they have that will eat them. They aren't saleable and they can't send them back so....
I’m not sure what you mean by nasty. At first, I thought you meant that they were dirty and diseased. But now I realize you probably mean aggressive. As a person who used to keep more than several species of snakes, I see problems with that regardless of which definition you choose. Snake hobbyists don’t simply feed thawed rodents for the convenience, but do it foremost for the snakes’ safety. Besides the obvious (diseases), rodents can cause harm, and sometimes injure snakes quite bad. Not a good practice for any petstore. Of course, Petco isn’t exactly known for its pet care.

I also wouldn’t necessarily believe everything people tell you. I don’t think hearing this from an employee is a good argument. It kind of sounds like silly bragging to me from the employee. Some people think feeding live animals is cool.

Last edited:

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a PetCo within ten minutes of my house, and they have a plant tank, a turtle tank, and a tank with koi and a common pleco, but never seen an adoption tank.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not sure what you mean by nasty. At first, I thought you meant that they were dirty and diseased. But now I realize you probably meant aggressive. As a person who used to keep more than several species of snakes, I see problems with that regardless of which definition you choose. Snake hobbyists don’t simply feed thawed rodents for the convenience, but do it foremost for the snakes’ safety. Besides the obvious (diseases), rodents can cause harm, and sometimes injure snakes quite bad. Not a good practice for any pet store. Of course, Petco isn’t exactly known for their pet care.

I also wouldn’t necessarily believe everything people tell you. I don’t believe hearing this from an employee is a good argument. It kind of sounds like silly bragging to me from the employee. Some people think feeding live animals is cool.
We had bought two dwarf hamsters several years back that just did not get along, and I was concerned about returning one to the store. They assured me that so long as nothing was wrong they do rehome them again, it was the small animal manager who stated this while on the clock. Only the aggressive ones do they dispatch, as otherwise they're doomed to sit in a tub in the back for the rest of their lives. I hoped it was a local thing rather than a national policy, their general and regional manager kind of sucked at the time. I have six snakes myself and only ever do frozen, so it bothers me as well that they may still do this. Not only for the snakes and the rodents, but because some snakes are known to become picky about their dinner and that sets them up for a hard to feed habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 11 73.3%

Top Bottom