Adopting an Emerald

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all!

So once my cousin moves i'm taking her 55 gal tank, which is coming w/ her pleco (who is quite large, and probably will be needing a new home...though I think he's full grown) and emerald cory. I've never had an emerald cory, I understand they are quite large? He definitely is! I will be putting my small school of albino cories in (and my platys) so I was just wondering if Oz (that's his name...cuz you know, emerald city and all lol) will be okay w/ my albinos? He's a very active guy, and I'm sure he'd love the company (though he doesn't seem to mind being on his own, he had some friends but they passed away due to old age) but he's SO much bigger than my guys. Any advice would be appreciated it. I'm taking all of her stuff with it, so we might have a small minI cycle (since I'll be putting sand in, though probably taking it from my 10 gal and adding a little more instead of keeping the substrate she has) but I'll have my filter media from my 10 gal and her current stuff (we are just moving the tank a few hours away so no prob keeping things wet). Should I be on the look out for some emerald friends for him? Do they require anything else different from my albinos?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Emerald Cory isn't actually a cory at all but Brochis splendens They are totally compatible with the other corys and won't hurt them.
Carol

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm assuming as long as there is enough food the sizes shouldnt be an issue?

I got three huge emeralds today and was curious if I could put them with the others even though they are small. (Trying not to hijack here)

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
THanks Carol

A Sneaky Fatman said:

I got three huge emeralds today and was curious if I could put them with the others even though they are small. (Trying not to hijack here)
Oh no you're not hijacking at all, totally online w/ my question. My little guys are CONSTANTLY eating so I'm quite sure they find food just fine

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Sneaky Fatman said:

You are correct As long as there is enough food and you keep your water really clean you won't have a problem with any of them
You know I feel a need for pictures coming on
Carol

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry, phone pics, and also no gravel but going to solve that later today.

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking Emeralds! Thanks I needed a picture fix
Carol

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They do not appear to be emerald corys. Emeralds have more dorsal rays, and the dorsal fin extends much closer to the adipose fin.

Yours look like they could be bronze corys.

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
They do not appear to be emerald corys. Emeralds have more dorsal rays, and the dorsal fin extends much closer to the adipose fin.
Good catch Jaysee! Emeralds(Brochis splendens) have 10-12 dorsal spines so it would make their dorsal fin larger. Whereas Corys have 6-8 dorsal spines. I bet those are bronze or green corys(Corydoras aeneus)both common names
Still beautiful fish
Carol

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Took a better look and yes it would seem the three he gave me were bronze corys and I do have one of the emeralds and two albinos

nice to know

Britjo - unless that pleco is about 16" or so it will still grow. Mines at 12-13 and getting bigger still.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well he hasn't grown in about a year and he's from my fingers to my elbow which is about 15 inches...I personally think he's too big for the tank. My uncle has a 90gal tank inside (that he's recently made tropical it was a hospital tank for his koI pond, but he got a second tank for that lol) so he might be heading over to his house.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads