Adopting a reef tank

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am getting an fully cycled and running tank from a friend. Have freshwater tanks, but never salt. Have much to learn. I think it is a reef tank as there is live rock and anemone and fish. Other than the fish being clowns and damsels, know nothing about her set up or stocking or equiptment. Would like to move to saltwater setup to my 30 Gallon as it is currently in a 20 gallon. My 30 gallon is currently freshwater, but I am moving fish to a larger tank.

What questions do I need to ask her about the setup she has? Can my 30 Gallon be changed to salt water? Do I need to start it as saltwater before moving her things into my tank?

I'm reading a lot of the posts and learning, still a lot more info to learn. This is a great forum, and would appreciate any info or directions to aid in the move of the fish. Don't want to make mistakes and hurt the fish or anemone.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am getting an fully cycled and running tank from a friend. Have freshwater tanks, but never salt. Have much to learn. I think it is a reef tank as there is live rock and anemone and fish. Other than the fish being clowns and damsels, know nothing about her set up or stocking or equiptment. Would like to move to saltwater setup to my 30 Gallon as it is currently in a 20 gallon. My 30 gallon is currently freshwater, but I am moving fish to a larger tank.

What questions do I need to ask her about the setup she has? Can my 30 Gallon be changed to salt water? Do I need to start it as saltwater before moving her things into my tank?

I'm reading a lot of the posts and learning, still a lot more info to learn. This is a great forum, and would appreciate any info or directions to aid in the move of the fish. Don't want to make mistakes and hurt the fish or anemone.
Are you getting the tank and all the equipment aswell? If so, then why would you want to move them into another tank?

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My friend has a 20 gallon, I would like to move them to a 30 gallon. She has 2 clown and 2 damsel with some anemone. I am in love with gobies and want the extra room for them. She is giving me all equipment, testing kits and supplies.

Still need to know what she is running to see if it is compatable for a 30 gallon.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So get the 30 ready for salt and transfer all to the 30 and start being a saltie! Maybe???

Queen Bee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the welcome. I'm too determined. No maybe here about the salt tank filled with gobie ect, I'm in this for sure!!!

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll love it.. It's alittle more work but will worth it.. there is alot of pretty saltwater fish out there.. just make sure they are reef safe before you buy....Congrats and good luck. But always remember.We are here to help. send Pictures and updates....

zeddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
just remember once you go salt youll get a huge tank. i started with a 33gal and after a few upgrades im setting up my new 180gal with a 75gal sump in the basment.(the wife is mad lol)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom