Adopting A Bunny!

Guanchy
Looking to adopt a bunny for the fam! Anybody has any tips? experiences? info on caring etc... drop some knowledge, pictures of your too if you have.

I have kept guinea pigs for a long time so I know they are somewhat similar as far as caring for them

Platylover
I don’t have to many tips, but never, ever feed alfalfa. That stuff is awful for rabbits but it’s in just about every food. Oxbo typically doesn’t have it, so they are a good food to feed, but you should still feed fresh fruits and veggies as well as some non-harmful hay(forget what it’s called).

Guanchy
I feed my guinea pigs oxbow brand hay. Great company!

WinterSoldier.
Give the bunny a lot of interaction. Make sure it is having daily human attention. Make a 'Rabbit run' outside in the summer so it can graze and eat the grass. Feed it lots of veggies and hay.

Fishcat
Around here it’s usually timothy or meadow hay. Back when I had guinea pigs, I used to order my hay in bulk boxes from Sweet Meadow Farm, which is local for me. It’s great having enough hay to just toss in piles of it.

Joshaeus
Get the rabbit fixed! Males will mark unfamiliar things with urine and try to hump your arm if unfixed (speaking from experience here with my rabbit), and females will typically get ovarian cancer by age 5 if not fixed. They don't like being picked up but can bond wonderfully to people all the same...my rabbit, Vulcan, will circle my feet if I stand up in his playpen, and if I leave he will sit at the edge waiting for me to return. You can also litter train rabbits by putting hay in the litter box (they poo and pee where they eat hay). Overall a very goofy critter and I love him.

Guanchy
Thank you everyone!!

shrimpforever777
Here's a bunny pic for you! This little cutie is named Oreo! She is a dutch bunny if anyone wants to know.
20190213_105231.jpg

Guanchy
shrimpforever777 said:
Here's a bunny pic for you! This little cutie is named Oreo! She is a dutch bunny if anyone wants to know.
20190213_105231.jpg
Beautiful!

Katie13
Guanchy did you ever get a bunny? I just spotted this old post again. I got my 3rd on Saturday. She is a 3 month old mixed breed doe that goes by Maia. I've got some more info that you might find helpful. It cuts back a lot on the costs.

Actual Cage: I use a box of wire grid panels. One box is enough to build a cage that is 42" long by 28" wide by 28" high or 2 cages that are 42" by 28" by 14". ($20 at Bed Bath and Beyond)

Bedding: I use fleece blankets ($2.50 at Walmart) lined with puppy pads ($3 for 14 at Walmart). Litter training is an absolute life saver too!

Litter Box: large dog food bowl ($.99 for a cheap one at Walmart that's perfect for dwarves) or cat litter box ($5-$8 depending on size) filled with either cat litter ($10 for 40lb at Walmart) or 40lb bag of pine stall bedding ($6 at Tractor Supply)

Pellets: 50lb bag of Producer's Pride Rabbit Pellets ($15 at Tractor Supply) or 50lb bag of Country Road Rabbit Pellets ($14 at Rural King); I use Country Road. It's an alfalfa based pellet which is especially great for younger or pregnant rabbits.

Hay: 50lb bale of Standlee Premium Western Forage Timothy Hay ($20 at Tractor Supply)

Similar Aquarium Threads
Top Bottom