Adopted Goldfish/tank Questions Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wyvlen, Apr 20, 2019.

1. WyvlenNew MemberMember

Two girls I live next to had to get rid of their goldfish and came to ask me if I'd take their 3 favorite ones. When I saw them in their 20 gal tank I was like "Yeah ok I'll take them for you."
    It's a pretty simple setup (50 gal with a curved front), but I was wondering if these fish would be alright in this tank for life, or if I'll have to switch them over to a bigger tank in the future. I already have 3 Ryukin in a different tank, but I don't know much about the type of space/decor that Comets need. 2 are regular Comets and the other is a fancy I believe. They were VERY large for being in a 20 gal, but I wonder if putting them in a bigger tank will help them grow out or if they've already been stunted? (I don't know much about how that works tbh)
    It has a heater (it's not even plugged in lol), a gentle water pump just to keep it from getting stagnant, a larger plant that I took from one of my other tanks, and a filter. They seem to like one side of the tank a lot more than the other, so I might have to move things around a little bit.
    Should I add more plants like that? Is the substrate okay?
    Goldfish aren't my forte, but I figured it was better than being where they were previously. 20190420_194055.jpg

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Based on what I'm seeing, all these fish need a pond. Common and comet goldfish can grow to be a foot in length, with a bioload to match. And are those koi I see in the tank as well?

3. WyvlenNew MemberMember

The koi in there are not permanent residents, haha. They aren't the monster koi you'll find in a lot of ponds, but they still get to be about 12-15 inches. Definitely not fit for this tank!
    I mostly just wanted them out of the 20 gal ASAP, and I didn't know if the goldfish could stay in the tank or not.

4. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Goldfish don't have territories. They are shoaling fish. Moving things around is a pointless endeavor. All you're going to do is stress them out more. If they're mostly staying in one area, it's likely because they're still getting used to things. But once they do, they'll swim all over.

5. WyvlenNew MemberMember

Thanks! I'm much more used to cichlids and other semi-aggressive fish, so that makes me feel better lol.

6. gsong321Valued MemberMember

I have tn in one of my ponds, the smallest is about 6" long and the largest is almost 12" they're also pretty heavy...they were that big in about 4-5 years. You'll need a pond eventual...no doubt about it! They grow quick...gold fish are also major waste producers...but I love em! :):bigtears:

7. WyvlenNew MemberMember

Is there any way I could keep them in a tank if it was big enough? Granted, I have no idea the specifications for tank size koi and goldfish would need. Any ideas?

8. AngryRainbowValued MemberMember

I don't have an exact tank size number, but it would have to be as big as the pond they would be going in. Some backyard ponds are 1000+ gallons.

9. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Honestly it's cheaper and more practical to keep them in a pond, you're looking at a tank in the hundreds of gallons otherwise.

10. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

For 4, you could probably do a 125, though of course, bigger is better. Ideally you'd do a pond, but ideally isn't always practical

11. WyvlenNew MemberMember

I'll give it some thought! I'd prefer to keep them, but if getting a large enough tank doesn't work out I'll start looking around to see if anyone has a pond setup near me, unless someone is willing to drive for them. The two koi are absolutely gorgeous.
    I know someone with a 175 gal tank who keeps koi. I might ask her if she can either take the two koi or if she knows someone else lol.
    Thanks for the advice guys!

12. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I mainly meant for the goldfish, I sort of forgot about the koi, lol. Unsure of what type you have, so I can't really advise on those, but you seem to have a plan in mind :)
    However, I wouldn't put them in a 175, the general rule is 500 gallons for the first koi, and then 200-500 for each one after. Course, most people dont get anything near that big

13. WyvlenNew MemberMember

These particular koi don't reach 36", they get about the same size as the comets at around 12-15". I don't know if that actually changes anything concerning tank/pond size.

14. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Comets don't get that big, 12" is very unusual, 8-10" is much more common, and the world record is 14". What's the exact type of koi? Sounds like something I want... lol
    They do have larger bioloads than goldfish, so it would change the tank size, especially because I was thinking of just 4 goldies.

15. WyvlenNew MemberMember

I believe there are three different 'types' of koi sizes. Domestic, Japanese, and Jumbo. Domestic being the smallest and Jumbo being the largest.
    12-15"
    20-26"
    30-36"
    So it's like a foot difference between each of them lol. If I'm wrong though please correct me, I'm definitely not an expert

16. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I'm going to keep it practical and realistic here. For your 3 goldfish, a 75g is fine, IMO. I don't expect most pet store goldfish to get particularly large, and it takes certain rearing practices to get them really big. It doesn't make much sense to automatically regulate non-fancies as strictly pond fish, requiring hundreds of gallons when we are talking about the same species. You have people perfectly okay with keeping larger fish in tanks of 125g or less.

17. WyvlenNew MemberMember

I have a good tank for the goldies then, if that's the case. The koi are a different story haha. I'll put an ad out maybe and see if anyone is interested. They'll be okay in the current tank for a little bit til I can get them someplace bigger.

18. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

the yellow gold one looks like a butterfly koi and they get about 16" long.

comets will do alright in a 48" long tank.

i'm not seeing a fancy in that pic.

the middle one is a common. short round B shape tail.

the long deep forked tail is a comet.

19. gsong321Valued MemberMember

You could keep them in a tank for a few years...it takes a while for the to grow big but like I said, unless you have 200-300+ gal tank eventually...you'll want them outside. The big problem with goldfish is waste...they make lot of it and you'll need really good filtration. I've seen where people keep a half dozen under 6" in a 50 gal tank but the tank is always pretty dirty...it would take constant maintenance.

20. WyvlenNew MemberMember

I'm so sorry lol. For some reason I thought comets were the common goldfish />>
    I'm just a cichlid mama >->