Adopted Betta In Bowl: Need Help Re: Putting In Tank

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Today I adopted a Betta. He is at least 1.5 years old (owner had him 1.5 years after she rescued him when neighbour moved and left him in a jar in the hallway) and has lived his whole life in a fish bowl.

I have an up and running 10g with my two assassin snails in it. Right now it has an HOB filter, heater and a breeder sponge filter, and a whole lot of cyanobacteria and baby java ferns along with the odd scud, planaria, and detritus worms. I plan to decommission it eventually.

A week ago, I started up a 20 gallon Long where I eventually plan to move the snails to along with this betta. It has sand/ecocomplete/gravel substrate, a couple of live plants, a heater and a Tidal35 HOB filter. However it is still in the process of fishless cycling with ammonia still at 0.

I use conditioned well water in my aquariums – pH is 7.6, GH is 286, (16DH) and KH is 120. The betta spent his whole life in municipal water.

Question: What should I do with the betta?
1) Leave him in the bowl until the 20Long is up and running (could be weeks if not months)
2) Put him in the 10 gallon until the 20Long is up and running.

I want to minimize his stress but maximize his quality of life. Also, looking for any advice regarding water parameters.

Your advice/opinions in this matter are greatly appreciated.

Manan

Valued Member
Reaction score
You haven't given much information on the bowl, but I'll assume it is under 2.5g? Filtered and heated? I would move him to the 10g, just acclimate him before and he should be fine.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think the bowl is under 2.5g and it is definitely not filtered or heated.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Concerned about the fact that he has lived in a small fish bowl for all of his life - at least 1.5 years - and that he might not be able to swim well enough to reach the surface of the water in the 10 gallon and will also become exhausted because it will be the first time he is introduced to water current. Is this something I should be worried about?

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Concerned about the fact that he has lived in a small fish bowl for all of his life - at least 1.5 years - and that he might not be able to swim well enough to reach the surface of the water in the 10 gallon and will also become exhausted because it will be the first time he is introduced to water current. Is this something I should be worried about?
Don't fill it all the way and see how he goes is the suggestion I've had about bettas in deeper tanks.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately, there is a minimum height of water that I can have in the 10g to keep the filter and heater working properly.

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately, there is a minimum height of water that I can have in the 10g to keep the filter and heater working properly.
Is it a long tank or tall? Keep his bowl set up and just watch him, if he seems to struggle to get to the top you could put him back.

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for your replies. (The 10g is standard, the 20 gallon is long. 10g is established; 20g is still cycling.) I have a betta leaf hammock in the 10g.
Okay, so I think I will acclimate him while he is in his bowl (I have a drip acclimator tube), then put him in a plastic container and float it in the 10 gallon to make sure he's good with the temperature, then let him loose in it. I will watch him; if he is struggling, I will return him to his bowl (which will then be filled water from the 10g.)
Guess if I have to I could put more gravel in the tank to bring the bottom closer to the top.
(Once the 20g is cycled, I will likely move him and the snails to it.)

Allegra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for your replies. (The 10g is standard, the 20 gallon is long. 10g is established; 20g is still cycling.) I have a betta leaf hammock in the 10g.
Okay, so I think I will acclimate him while he is in his bowl (I have a drip acclimator tube), then put him in a plastic container and float it in the 10 gallon to make sure he's good with the temperature, then let him loose in it. I will watch him; if he is struggling, I will return him to his bowl (which will then be filled water from the 10g.)
Guess if I have to I could put more gravel in the tank to bring the bottom closer to the top.
(Once the 20g is cycled, I will likely move him and the snails to it.)
Sounds like a good plan

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How'd it go? Personally, I would put in the 10 gallon until the 20 gallon is set up. He will be living like a KING going from that bowl to a 20 and he'll love you for it. I know a betta doesn't NEED 20 gallons, but... why not?!?! Lol. If I had room for bigger than a 10 gallon, I would. Every betta deserves to be spoiled after what they get put through. Thank you for rescuing <3

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a young Betta with 10 Minnows delivered yesterday and they are now in a 15g hexagonal tall aquarium. Although very young and small, the Betta is managing very well swimming from bottom to top (24" depth of water). I don't think many people realise just how strong these fish can be, my Murf is thoroughly enjoying all the space that he has to play in with his Minnows, I have Mopani in the aquarium that is almost full height and he perches on that sometimes to survey his new home

It's not til you see a Betta stretch their fins in a larger aquarium that it really brings it home just how cruel those piddly little cups are that some petshops sell them in....they love the extra space in a larger aquarium.....and if space in the home is an issue, a hexagonal aquarium is perfect since they have a smaller footprint than the 10g or 20g

I hope you manage to get your Betta into your 20g and he gets to enjot some real freedom & space

16degus

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks pagoda and Shannon529.

I used Stability (one big dose followed by smaller doses for the next 7 days). On August 6, I acclimated "Gilbert" to the 20Long and he had no problem adapting to it. First thing he did when I put him in was swim to the bottom, rub his bottom fin on the sand/pebbles, then swim to the top and sit under the filter enjoying the bubbles. Then he explored every inch of his new home, swimming up, around and through every decoration/plant.
His top fin and the top of his tail fin are bent, most likely due to the lack of room in the bowl he spent most of his life, so far, in.

I have kept the assassin snails in the 10gallon. There are a few scuds in there too. A benefit to having two tanks is that I can feed the assassins without the betta gobbling up their food. And, bladder snails seem to have hitched a ride on the live plants so I now have some of them keeping the betta tank clean, and I move any extras (they are multiplying) in with the assassins to keep their home cleaner and to provide them with the opportunity to use their "hunting" skills.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom