Adopted a animal shelter cat

1. D

Dp8006 New Member Member

My family went Saturday to the local animal shelter and adopted a male cat that is two years old. We can't pick him up until Wednesday because he has to be neutered and have his shots before we bring him home. The shelter don't give the cats a bath and we were informed today he can't have a bath for ten days after his operation. Can we wipe him down with something in the mean time till we can properly wash him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

They make foaming shampoo that is meant to be worked into the fur and brushed out after it's dry. Just look for bottles that have 'no rinse' and/or 'waterless' on the label.

3. azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

Also available are grooming wipes for cats. Just Google Grooming wipes for cats or Shampoo wipes for cats.

4. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

Thank you both for the help

5. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

They are dry shampoo for your cat. If your cat was well taking cared of at the shelter, you don't really need to bath him. I rarely gave baths to the cats I have or had, unless they had flees or their hair was really dirty!. Please post some pictures of your cat!

6. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

image.jpeg

7. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

image.jpeg

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Applause for everyone adopting one. Beauty !
    We've never given our cat a bath (9 years old).

9. marijo

Beautiful cat! Beautiful eyes and I love the white marking in his face! And yes, thumbs up for adopting a rescue cat, one more to find a good home:D

10. azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

If people want to adopt rescue animals, I certainly applaud them. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with wanting and buying a pedigreed animal whether it is a horse, a goat, a cow, a dog or a cat. Contrary to popular belief, as far as cats go, the perceived "overpopulation" has more to do with irresponsible owners not getting their cats spayed or neutered than with legitimate breeders - or with cat owners who incorrectly think their female cat "needs to have just one litter". I support adopting shelter pets; however, in free countries we still have the right to buy pedigreed animals and, in my opinion, it is unfair or just plain wrong to look askance at those who choose to do so rather than adopting animals created by other people's irresponsibility, which is what it sometimes sounds like when people praise those who adopt a shelter animal (present company excepted!) I just wanted to speak up with another point of view. I am simply expressing an alternate opinion and do not wish to start some sort of angry discussion here!

11. marijo

The cats I had in my life were from friends or pet shops, I even found a pregnant one that someone just abandonned near my house and decide to keep her. I agree with you azbev, the problem with rescue animals are most of the time, caused by irresponsable owners. You can get a kitten from a friend, a breeder, a pet shop.... I never got one from a shelter but thumbs up to those who get a rescue animal, this is a lucky one because you gave him a second chance!

12. marijo

And please post some more pictures of your cat when you will bring him home!

13. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

That seems a lot for a cat to cope with - neutered, shots, a new home and now you're considering a bath?

I never gave a cat a bath - a sure fire way to make one hate you I would think.

My father in law gave their cat a flea treatment bath and she hated him for the rest of her life, so my wife tells me.

14. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Cats can handle baths quite well. I've worked in animal shelters and bathed countless cats, not just for fleas, either. Some of the gunk they had on them ...

Anyway. New cats sometimes need a wash. That's fine. The OP wants to do what they feel is right for their new kitty, and has the waterless option available to them.

15. OP
    OP
    D

Dp8006 New Member Member

Thank you everyone for all the help and kind words. My other cat loves bathes in fact he jumps in when I give my kids a bath and even splashes water when I brush my teeth. I've never had any problems with a cat hating a bath though but will not allow it to be all over the house with out one as it was picked up off the street and very dirty. Will try the wipes though to wash him. Thank you all again

16. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Fair enough, I didn't realise this. You live and learn!

17. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Think nobody said what you're trying to make clear here. My labrador (and the one before) I bought as pups with a breeder, my cat I got as a kitten from A neighbour.

I still think it's great when people adopt a cat from a shelter or some one else.
    And especially when they adopt an adult animal. Not all ones in a shelter are the result of irresponsable breeding.

Regards Aad.

18. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Where I live in Fla a lot of animals end up in shelters because of an aging population that gets sick or enters a nursing home, or passes away. My cat was 6 and 1/2 and had been in the shelter for 9 months when we adopted her. She was terrified and it took her a month to finally start to come out of the back bedroom. She has turned into the perfect cat for us and has become our chiuhuha's best friend. Alison;)

19. marijo

In my area, animals go to SPCA for different reasons, as @ailiray mentionned aging population is one of them, the picks for abandoned animals are in June, July, when people are moving, they cannot always bring their animals with them. There is a law in Ontario but not in Quebec, a landlord cannot refuse to rent you a house/appartment if you have a pet in Ontario. If such a law would exist in my province, the amount of rescue animals would probably decrease. There is also a big problem with people not having their cats neutered. Spca put cages outside where you can leave your animals when they are closed but I will never undestand why people cannot leave their animal's name and age when they drop their pets

20. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I agree. It would mean a lot to the rescuer to have even minimal background information on the animals that we bring home. Took us months , and multiple bet visits after our first rescue to determine that the cat had allergies. All we knew was his approximate age and gender. And that he'd been living outside in February at -40c. We quickly established that he'd been raised around dogs and children, and lacked any training

Our last foster though....you would think there would be some information on her, as she was confiscated from a cat-lady with 30cats. We took 3 months to gain her trust, and by the end we kept her, as she and the first cat had become a "bonded pair". I'm sure she'd had kittens before we had her..her maternal instincts are strong, though she's spayed now. Poor thing was only a year old at time of rescue