adolescent fry picking on momma fish

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 1/2inch, give or take, in a twenty gal tank. ( i need to update my list) I had major problems with bacteria before they were all born. but they thrived as the older adults died off slowly :'( it was so sad. so now we have all these babies, which we realize are all going to get as big if not bigger than the 1 female we have left since the dramatic loss. she is starting to get harrassed by one of the "keeps getting fatter by the day" grown up fry-- I noticed today that she has nip marks on her dorsal fin, but the rest of her looks good, she eats, even though she has stayed slender-- i think she was one of the preggos when we got her. Anyways-- i'm just worried I guess and we are taking too long to set up our second tank--should i be worried- ??? - ph has been low since we got back from vacation-- i've been raising it slowly--weekly water changes--and we've been varying thier diet with freeze dried brine shrimp. is she just out numbered???? LILA --sorry so lengthy

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Watch closely if the frys that are picking on mom are males. If they are males it is normal behavior and mom might be outnumbered by males.

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
they are both females-- and today it is getting worse :'( -- i have a breeding box that i put the bully in-- just to keep them seperated as this is the only way i have to seperate them. thanks-- LILA

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have absoluely no clue if they are females... :-[

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not much help I know but if they are defo females I too have no Idea. Maybe they just don't get on - it's not unheard of.

Sorry I cant be of more help

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
she's learned to hide out to be more safe and away from her savvage babies!! ;D Thanks guys!! LILA

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom