adolescent fry picking on momma fish

LilaBean

Reaction score
I have about 20 1/2inch, give or take, in a twenty gal tank. ( I need to update my list) I had major problems with bacteria before they were all born. but they thrived as the older adults died off slowly :'( it was so sad. so now we have all these babies, which we realize are all going to get as big if not bigger than the 1 female we have left since the dramatic loss. she is starting to get harrassed by one of the "keeps getting fatter by the day" grown up fry-- I noticed today that she has nip marks on her dorsal fin, but the rest of her looks good, she eats, even though she has stayed slender-- I think she was one of the preggos when we got her. Anyways-- i'm just worried I guess and we are taking too long to set up our second tank--should I be worried- ??? - ph has been low since we got back from vacation-- i've been raising it slowly--weekly water changes--and we've been varying their diet with freeze dried brine shrimp. is she just out numbered???? LILA --sorry so lengthy

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Watch closely if the frys that are picking on mom are males. If they are males it is normal behavior and mom might be outnumbered by males.

OP
L

LilaBean

Reaction score
they are both females-- and today it is getting worse :'( -- I have a breeding box that I put the bully in-- just to keep them seperated as this is the only way I have to separate them. thanks-- LILA

Patchspud

Reaction score
Not much help I know but if they are defo females I too have no Idea. Maybe they just don't get on - it's not unheard of.

Sorry I can't be of more help

OP
L

LilaBean

Reaction score
she's learned to hide out to be more safe and away from her savvage babies!! ;D Thanks guys!! LILA

New Threads