Adjusting PH

Wyvern10

Reaction score
My 29 gallon has a water PH of about 8.2. That is the PH of my tap water as well. The fish in there are all doing fine (about 4 weeks since cycle completed). Should I consider trying to lower the PH? I want to eventually plant the tank. If I do use conditioners to lower the PH what should I use?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most fish will acclimate to just about any ph so it's really better not to try to change it. It really won't affect your plants.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
also (not certain) but by messing about adjusting pH dont you end up with fluctuations which can upset fish, where-as a steady/stable 8.4 is better than fighting against it and getting fluctuations. am i making any sense? i.e stable imperfect pH is better than a fluctuating one where fish are constantly trying to acclimatise to a changing pH. anyway, i'm rambling again.... ;D

Eskielvr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to get the Ph right in my aquariums. My South American one, when I checked it last, was at 7.0 where the ideal for the neons is 6.5 to 6.8. Unless I add Acid Buffer every single day, it won't stay so I don't even bother anymore. Ironically, the last time I checked my African Cichlid tank several years ago, it was the opposite. If only I could swap the Ph from both tanks, lol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's easier on your fish to just let them acclimate to your ph right out of your tap. With fluctuations their constantly in a state of adjustment.
Carol

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
One way to lower and maintain a lower PH is by CO2 injections. Pressurized CO2 and a PH controller would be great but would cost money. Also with CO2 you need live plants and would consider at least two watts per gallon are more in lighting. Good luck and Wellcome to FishLore

Wyvern10

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advise. I guess I'll leave the PH where it is at. All of the fish seem to be doing fine so why mess with it.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
exactly! thats the main thing....happy fish and happy stress free owner!!

Trio123

Valued Member
Reaction score
read this but I already brought my pH down between 7.0 and 7.5 (can't tell exactly with the test kit). And I am having the problem of matching up my quarentine with my 65. I want to go back to making life simple and just leave it alone... can I do this without shocking my fish? I was thinking I would just do my regular water changes without adding any pH down and it would slowly return to normal. I think my quarentine is pretty usless when it's got a different pH and I have to acclimate the fish to put them into the 65.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom