Adjusting ph

1. soccermatt Member Member

hi,
    i am currently cycling my tank using fish food. I bought an API ph tester and adjuster kit, and used ph down once. I heard that trying to adjust you ph can be very harmful so i have stopped. My ph is around 7.6 - 7.8 and for the fish that i would like it says the like around 7. Would there be any other ways to lower my ph?
    thanks

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

once you tank finishes the cycle process, then you can be concerned about the ph..it changes constantly while the tank cycles....and most fish will acclimate to different ph's as long as they are stable....

but to lower ph, find some driftwood with tannis or peat moss in your filter
    to higher the ph, use some crushed coral or limestone rocks...

3. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Those pH readings sound fine :)
    Alot of the common tropical fish are captive raised and not wild caught. Which means that the odds are they're already pretty used to pH's that are slightly different then they're wild caught counter-parts.
    One thing to remember is that unless the fish require an extreme pH it's just easier to let them adapt to your water. Unless you're looking to breed some of the trickier species (dwarf ciclids, etc.) you're golden. :)
    Good Luck,

4. HitchHiker Member Member

Shawnie-

So glad that you said that the pH of the tank will vary while you are cycling the tank I was just about ask that question as I have seen mine spike up to 8.1 this evening.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello SoccerMatt. :animal0068: I've moved your thread to the pH section of the forum. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107
    Please don't add chemicals to adjust your pH levels. They can be very unstable and unreliable and even cause your pH to crash resulting in fish loss. There are natural ways to adjust your pH in the link I gave you above.
    Best of luck!
    Ken