adjusting ph-- anyone used neutral regulator?

1. k9z3boys Member Member

we bought some neutral regulator for regenerating the purigen. It also says it will bring your Ph to 7.
    the Ph in the 60 is barely 6... has anyone used this? with success? is the Ph something I even want to mess with? if I try to up the Ph will it be beneficial or just shock them?
    is a low Ph detrimental?

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

A lot of fish adapt well to pH given its not extremely high or low and they are acclimated properly. It also I think greatly depends on your fish. Some are just more hardy than others. I personally don't advise adjusting the pH because sometimes it can hard to keep consistent, and in my opinion that what fish are really looking for. I've heard of fish dying from a pH increase as little as .2

I have the Neutral Regulator and also the Acidic Regulator but never really used them cause my tap is not to any extreme and was much easier to acclimate my stock to my tap, so I didn't have to worry about water fluctuations during weekly water changes. Cause that really adds up not that I don't mind spending money on fish, but there are other ways that you can adjust your pH more naturally and less drastically.

Your pH is now currently 6? And your wanting to go to 7.0 or higher?
    What fish do you have?
    What does your pH read on your tap?

3. k9z3boys Member Member

as far as I know, yes, 6. 6 is the lowest reading on my test kit color thing
    yes, I am wanting to get it up to 7 where it 'belongs' -- unless messing with it is more harmful than not.
    tap water turned a very dark blue... so I will test the hi Ph.... yikes tap water Ph is close 8.

the 60 has 2 bristlenose plecos, corys, danios, platys, frogs and 1 gourami

the other 3 tanks read a much higher Ph... is it the plants driving it down?

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

The plants could be lowering the pH usually from decaying leaves possibly a few other things. Do your other tanks have any limestone or rocks? aside from substrate
    Driftwood Works for lowering pH, along with Peat Moss. How close to 8 does it read? Are your fish acting stressed?

If their not or they haven't been acting stressed I would not mess with the pH and I would slowly do water changes to get the Neutral Regulator out cause I think it will be much easier to maintain a pH by using your tap then using the a buffer. A lot of the time with the Seachem Water Buffer line you have to get multiple formulas and use them together; hence how I got the acid & neutral regulator to begin with, then picked up the Alkaline cause it felt lonely.

Aside from the Cories and depending on what kind you have I can'y speak specifically for them cause i'm just getting into them myself, but as for the rest of your stock their fairly hardy fish and should be able to adapt to the higher pH given its consistent.

5. k9z3boys Member Member

one tank has driftwood for the rubberlip pleco and his Ph is still about right..... no, no limestone or rocks.
    the 60 has driftwood but the Ph was low before we put that in.
    I have not yet used the regulator stuff in the water--

its not the hi Ph...its low.

thanks for your help!

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well 6.6 pH will be better for your stock than 8.0 pH if that helps :)

7. k9z3boys Member Member

hee hee that's good to know :)
    so basically if it aint broke don't fix it? :;hf :;thx

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

EXACTLY!!!

And another good ones; K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple & Successful)

;)

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with what's been said, don't mess with your ph, it's better to keep it stable than have it fluctuate & with your soft water there's a whole host of fish that will do extremely well in it :)

10. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I always thought it was Keep It Simple Stupid

But there is no need to change your PH

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Star.gif I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum.

It is never a good idea to use chemicals to alter your pH levels. They are unstable and can lead to a pH crash resulting in fish loss. As others have stated, it is more important to maintain a pH level than it is to try and pinpoint a certain level. Too, it will be much easier on you and your fish.

Link on pH with some helpful information:
    http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

Ken

12. Crissandra331 Member Member

Haha it totally is, but i'd much rather be successful than stupid, even if kept simple ;)

13. k9z3boys Member Member

come to find out, from seachem, I don't want neutral regulator in my tank at all.... guess itll kill my plants... EEEK!
    i'll just use it to regenerate the purigen and be happy.

also discovered that a low Ph may have to do with the level of ammoniuM and since the prime converts ammonia to ammonium that may be affecting it. '
    long story short I will take crissandras advice and just leave it be.... if the fish don't care, I don't care :)