How Do I Adjusting My Water-Change Schedule

IwanamalawI

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been keeping fish for around 7 years.
I currently have a 90 gallon tank with one ~8in oscar fish.

My Goal: I would like to do only 1 or 2 waterchanges a week.

For the past year or so I have been doing a %20 waterchange basically every other day (This includes using a gravel vacuum and targeting all of the detritus). I could do this because I had the time, but now I have been more busy.

Even with this vigorous schedule my tank still has Nitrates between 10 and 20ppm. My oscar has also been showing small amounts of fin deterioration, which I think may be partially due to the Nitrates as well as the tank temperature being bumped a bit whenever I add in the freshwater during the waterchanges.

Note: Although my oscar has small amounts of fin deterioration, his colors are still vibrant and he still has an attitude!

Filtration: I use an AC70 HOB as well as an FX4. I clean them every 3-4 months. Maybe I should be doing this more often?

Feeding Schedule: I feed my oscar once a day with Northfin Cichlid food. On waterchange days I feed him a couple Omega One freeze-dried krill along with the Northfin Cichlid food.

I have been thinking of doing a %50 waterchange every week, but I'm worried that will result in raised NItrates. What do you think I should aim for?

Thanks for reading through this, I would appreciate your advice.

-IwanamalawI

Gone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to do one 50% water change every week. I switched to two 30% water changes once a week, and my fish were more active and my algae problems were gone. In doing some research I came to the conclusion that 50% once a week was enough to keep nitrates down, but that would cause large swings in other water parameters. Algae problems can occur if there are large swings in CO2.

I'd try to keep with the schedule to do two water changes a week. Is there a way you could make your water change procedure more efficient?

OP
I

IwanamalawI

Reaction score
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
I have heard from multiple people that you can have Nitrates as high as 40 ppm, I still say 0 for nitrites and ammonia. I like to keep Nitrates at 30 ppm at the highest, but your Nitrates are fine.
Thanks for the feedback. Now I don't have to worry about this as much... I will still keep it in check though.
GuppyDazzle said:
I used to do one 50% water change every week. I switched to two 30% water changes once a week, and my fish were more active and my algae problems were gone. In doing some research I came to the conclusion that 50% once a week was enough to keep nitrates down, but that would cause large swings in other water parameters. Algae problems can occur if there are large swings in CO2.

I'd try to keep with the schedule to do two water changes a week. Is there a way you could make your water change procedure more efficient?
Thanks for getting back to me. I purchased a Brute garbage can so I could prepare the water beforehand, but it still takes awhile to clean the whole tank out (usually around 45 minutes).

I have some brown algae on one side of the back of the tank, but it hasn't been growing much, so I think I will just scrub it down and start doing ~%30 waterchanges twice a week.

I will make sure to regularly check the parameters and see how this works out. Thanks for the help guys!

-IwanamalawI

New Threads