ADFS hugging?

pocket sized ninja
ADFS hugging? with picture

I know that that is how they mate and I know that males can't become females...but the one on the bottom is tolerating the one on the top and that confuses me. The one on the bottom is a lot bigger then the one on top...and the one on top has the white patches and the other doesn't ( or at least not as prominent). I bought them as one of those eco things where it advertises that they are both male. ( don't worry, they are in a proper tank now!).

So....does it sound like I may have little tadpoles on the way?
I haven't seen any eggs or egg laying yet. They've been like that for over an hour now

Attachments

• frogs mating 006.jpg
    frogs mating 006.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 284
Lucy
Sounds like a male and female
Could be 2 males sometimes they get a bit confused.

If you got them when they were young, they would have been impossible to sex correctly.

Maybe you'll find eggs in the morning. How exciting!

pocket sized ninja
Would they just eat the eggs?

Lucy
Yep, they'll eat the eggs.
There's a good chance they won't get them all.
Some can sink into the gravel, get caught up on leaves and deco.

Not all hugging (amplexus) results in eggs.

pocket sized ninja
They are doing it again this morning.....
and I checked for the white spots at a better angle on the one on the bottom and there for sure isn't any white.
Last night I was positive I heard the for sure male calling..

Jancy
Very exciting! They can do this for hours! I just love hearing them sing.
As Lucy mentioned they don't always have eggs. They are very tiny to see. Sometimes just squirting around with a turkey baster lightly around the tank gravel, plants etc you may see some floating.
The white ones are not fertile but the ones that look brown on one side and white on the other are.
If the infertile one are left in the tank they will become fuzzy with fungus and should be removed.

pocket sized ninja
My mom said if the frogs lay eggs I can't like 'raise' them...
so pretty much they are just gonna be laid and then eaten I guess..

Advertisement
Jancy
It's best to listen to your Mom

They really are a lot of work and time trying to raise them and heartbreaking when they don't make it. Also if you did, then you would have to have a place to keep them.

Just remember to take the eggs out of your tank if you can so as not to foul up your water and so the frogs don't over eat.

pocket sized ninja
My frogs laid fertilized eggs last night.

Lucy
Sorry your mom won't let you raise them.
As Jancy said, they're a lot of work.

Even if you don't remove the eggs you'll most likely end up with a few clever tadpoles who manage to hide out.
The parents will make quick work of them.

In case you need it, this is a good reference:

pocket sized ninja
How often do they breed?

frogbreeder
Well, judging by the picture, you definitely have a mature male (the one on top) and a mature female (the one on the bottom) - and a very fine looking pair at that. Everything that Lucy and Jancy have said is absolutely correct. They will eat the eggs, if you don't remove them promptly. Although, it won't hurt the frogs to let them eat a few, allowing them to eat too many isn't good. So, it's best to remove the eggs as soon as you notice them in the morning. As Jancy said, they can foul the water (especially the unfertilized ones that sink and get covered in fungus), if they are not removed. Despite your best efforts to find and remove the eggs, a few will manage to remain hidden. So, after a few days, you might notice some very small tadpoles swimming around, usually just below the water's surface. But, don't worry, the adults will eventually find and eat these.

Some frogs will mate almost every night - especially young frogs - but they will not produce eggs every time (usually only every 2-4 weeks or so, give or take). Amplexus (hugging behaviour) can last for several hours, sometimes days. During amplexus, the male will not eat, but the female will continue to go about her normal business - swimming, eating, resting, etc., carrying the male on her back the entire time. When she is ready to release her eggs, she will swim to the surface (still carrying the male on her back), flip up-side-down, and deposit one egg (sometimes more) onto the water's surface. While at the surface, the male will also release a small amount of milt to fertilize the eggs. The milt will appear as an oily film floating on the surface, but will quickly disappear. This process is repeated many, many times, until all of the female's eggs are released. A mature female can lay as many as 200-300 eggs during a single amplexus session, but they usually lay about 75-150, or so (admittedly, I've never actaully counted them). Once the female has finished releasing all of her eggs, she will return to the bottom of the tank and lay motionless, which signals the male to release her. It's a shame your mom won't let you raise any tads, but parents always know best. Perhaps, someday you'll get the chance. It's absolutely amazing to watch them develop and undergo metamorphosis.

I'm really happy that you have provided your frogs with a proper home. Those froggy cubes-of-doom things are just plain cruel. They should be illegal. Good for you. Looks like your frogs are very content. - frogbreeder

pocket sized ninja
I went through the tank for about an hour and a half scooping up eggs with a turkey baster. A rough guess of the amount of eggs I collected was about 200-250.
I also changed their water and took everything apart to clean so I hope I got all the eggs..

Lucy
Wow!
What did you do with the eggs?

MJDuti
Why don't you move the frogs to the 10G and use the 1.5 for the frog eggs/tadpoles? That way you have something in both tanks while you're waiting to stock the larger one and your mom won't have to worry about getting you any new supplies. win win

I never knew if my pair were male or female either, still not too sure. They have been "hugging" lately though. I need to take a closer look to see if I can sex them, if not I'll have to post a photo. Can they change sex at any age?

I was wondering from all your experiences what they actually sound like when they "sing". I've read sometimes it's a humming like the filter and you can't even hear it, while other times you can.

Ladayen
He can't put the eggs in the 1.5g because his mom said no. Also, 250 little eggs will become 250 frogs that he has to do something with lol.

MJDuti
Lucy or Frogbreeder, as ones with experience in this, how many eggs typically survive to full maturity?

Advertisement
Lucy
Frogbreeder gets oodles and oodles. lol
Myself, I have experience in failing to breed adf's.
2 made it to adulthood.
The last batch were born from a parent with a bacterial infection. A few (4 or 5) out of a bout a dozen or so eggs survived until hey morphed then developed the same bacterial infection and died from it.

It's hard to say how many frogs would survive from 250 eggs.
When they start free swimming they need to be fed BBS every 3 or 4 hours with daily water changes.
It's said that they emit some sort of chemical into the water that will kill other tads if they are over crowded.
I believe this to be true.

It's really a lot of work to try and raise them.

Oh, the sound they make is more of a low hum, more like zzzzzzzt.
Pretty cute!

frogbreeder
I never knew if my pair were male or female either, still not too sure. They have been "hugging" lately though. I need to take a closer look to see if I can sex them, if not I'll have to post a photo. Can they change sex at any age?

I was wondering from all your experiences what they actually sound like when they "sing". I've read sometimes it's a humming like the filter and you can't even hear it, while other times you can.

The sex of an ADF is determined at the time of conception. Unlike some species of fish, such as platies or guppies, for example, ADFs cannot change sex. Although their sex is determined at birth, it's not possible to determine the sex of an ADF by just looking at it, until it becomes sexually mature at around 6 months of age.

As far as I know, only male ADFs possess the ability to vocalize. Some males sing louder and more frequently than others. They generally sing in the late evening to attract a mate. But, they stop singing once amplexus begins. Sometimes, their song is described as a humming noise, but as Lucy suggests, it sounds more like "zzzzzzzzzt, zzzzzzzzzt." A prolonged call that ascends quickly at the end. Sometimes it sounds a bit like a squeeky hinge or even a zipper. When two males are annoyed with each other or competing for the same female, their vocalizations become shorter and more rapid and sound more like, "Zzt, Zzt. Zzt, Zzt." - frogbreeder

Attachments

• D_09_A MALE SINGING Determining Sex.jpg
    D_09_A MALE SINGING Determining Sex.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 190
Akari_32
My male kinda sounds like a deeper, dragged out cricket chirp. He's very loud, too. I heard him last night over my room mates music playing. I've got one male and 2 females. Lucky boy ;D

frogbreeder
My male kinda sounds like a deeper, dragged out cricket chirp. He's very loud, too. I heard him last night over my room mates music playing. I've got one male and 2 females. Lucky boy ;D

Yeh, Akari, that's a great way to describe the noise they make. It does sound a lot like a long cricket chirp, indeed. - frogbreeder

pocket sized ninja
He can't put the eggs in the 1.5g because his mom said no. Also, 250 little eggs will become 250 frogs that he has to do something with lol.

i'm a girl

pocket sized ninja
Why don't you move the frogs to the 10G and use the 1.5 for the frog eggs/tadpoles? That way you have something in both tanks while you're waiting to stock the larger one and your mom won't have to worry about getting you any new supplies. win win

Well i'm moving into residence or an apartment in july so i'm not allowed to set anything up while I'm still at home.... My mom said I can do what ever I want when i'm moved out... but for residence I'm only allowed A 30L aquarium.
I like to compare the sound of them male 'singing' to a phone vibrating in someones pocket.

MJDuti
when I woke up early yesterday morning and headed into the kitchen I heard a strange sound. what was it? It was coming from the corner where the tank is. I dimmed a light and what do you know, the male frog was "singing"! You guys described it perfectly. I was so excited to finally hear it. Maybe cause it was still dark out he felt in the mood.

I kind of feel bad for the female though. They have literally been at it for days, it has to be almost a week now. Sometimes they hug each other for what seems like hours. How long is normal? All I know is that my male is very dominant and a master at spooning.

frogbreeder
Duration of amplexus can vary, but 8-12 hours is typical, especially during spawning. Young males will sometimes hug the female for a day or two at a time without letting go of her. Aw, poor female. Fortunately, they slow down as they age, and eventually give up amplexus altogether. Aw, poor female. - frogbreeder

Attachments

• J_16 AMPLEXUS 08 Breeding Resized.jpg
    J_16 AMPLEXUS 08 Breeding Resized.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1975A Resized.jpg
    100_1975A Resized.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_0892 Resized.jpg
    100_0892 Resized.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 107
Cichlidnut
You've always got the best pictures Frogbreeder!

frogbreeder
You've always got the best pictures Frogbreeder!

Thanks Cichlidnut. I love to photograph ADFs. They sure are photogenic. I take a lot of pictures because I am often asked by local aquarium societies to give lectures on ADF care and breeding. Hence, all the silly ADF info slides. - frogbreeder

Advertisement
Cichlidnut
Thanks Cichlidnut. I love to photograph ADFs. They sure are photogenic. I take a lot of pictures because I am often asked by local aquarium societies to give lectures on ADF care and breeding. Hence, all the silly ADF info slides. - frogbreeder

I like your slides! keep up the great work!!!

amber0107
I saw this right before my son's bedtime the other night....

011.jpg

Cichlidnut
I think somebody is confused there...

amber0107
My thoughts exactly. I think they're all males too!

Katrina89
lol they made a frog sandwich

Lucy

If anyone wonders why we keep ADF's you just provided the answer!
Their antics are just too cute!

Tigress Hill
Maybe they are simply consoling one another upon emotional froggy matters.

Katrina89
You have officially made me want one

amber0107
Get one! They are truly fun to keep. My son loves to listen to them "sing".

Lucy
I have to respectfully disagree with Amber.
You shouldn't get one.

You should get more than one! lol

Tigress Hill
I fall asleep to their voices every night

Fammies
Oh wow, that is so funny! XD Go team!

amber0107
They were at it again tonight...crazy frogs.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Danio
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishMommer
Replies