ADFs- Chytrid Treatment Alternatives to Lamisil Spray?

Anchorite

(Sorry if this discussion has come up before, I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant.)

So first, some context: After my first experience with ADFs ended with failure, I swore off trying to keep the little buggers... at least for a while. Last year a new chain store opened in my area (Pet Supplies Plus) and when I saw some healthy little guys on display, I couldn't resist and took two of them home with me. I'm happy to report that unlike my first batch of ADFs, these two boys have been doing great and their joyful antics have brought some much needed levity. ...And recently after much consideration, I decided to purchase them two more friends.
The new ones are currently under quarantine and I've just completed day 6 (of 10) of the lamisil bath treatments. Although these two have not shown any symptoms resembling chytrid, I have routinely treated every frog, since I cannot risk any potential introduction to the healthy tank environment. However, I noticed my original can of Lamisil AT Spray is starting to run low and while I will hopefully have enough to complete the remaining 4 day course, I planned to pick up another can on my next Target run but...they didn't have it. After an online search failed to show the product in-stock online or in store virtually anywhere, I've reached the conclusion that this product is no longer being sold in the US market, or at least, not currently (and resellers are taking advantage by asking absolutely ridiculous prices for old product). It's unclear how long it's vanished from the shelves but the frustration doesn't end there, since I can't find a suitable alternative either. The active ingredient is 1% Terbinafine Hydrochloride, every other over-the-counter antifungal spray I've encountered has a different composition such as tolnaftate or miconazole nitrate. Without knowing if these would be effective on chytrid or even if they're safe for frogs at all, I can't bring myself to use any of these products. I have also heard that the readily available Lamisil cream, while having the same active ingredient as the spray, is not suitable for the bath treatment (I'm guessing because the extra ingredients found in cream formulation could have adverse affects?).
So now what? I've come to rely on the lamisil bath method since I have personally experienced what a dramatic effect it can have on a frog afflicted with chytid fungus. But if that's no longer an option, are alternatives out there that are just as accessible and effective? And if not, how do we address this disease as aquarists going forward? A three month quarantine is only effective if the individuals are healthy to begin with and as many of us have unfortunately experienced first hand, this is not always the case.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
CoryCats
Replies
Views