Adfs aggressive??

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
I was just feeding my adfs and one of them literally bit the other twice... ifk if he thought he was food or not but like he bit him twice... should I separate them or just let it be

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is adfs standing for african dwarf frogs? No, I wouldn't separate them, they're actually typically social with other dwarf frogs. What probably happened, was the victI'm was mistaken as food. Or, the victI'm had food in their mouth that the other could smell, so he tried to go for the food.

African dwarf frogs don't have the greatest eye sight. They see better in the dark, and they use smell to find their food most of the time. I would bet it was just an accident.

OP
idkausernamesoyeah

idkausernamesoyeah

Well Known
Reaction score
FishGirl38 said:
Is adfs standing for african dwarf frogs? No, I wouldn't separate them, they're actually typically social with other dwarf frogs. What probably happened, was the victI'm was mistaken as food. Or, the victI'm had food in their mouth that the other could smell, so he tried to go for the food.

African dwarf frogs don't have the greatest eye sight. They see better in the dark, and they use smell to find their food most of the time. I would bet it was just an accident.
ok thanks. ok I have some more questions lol... have u ever bred them? and how do I sex them? how do I breed them? ummm and would they happily live in a ten gallon for their whole lives? if u don't know any of this its fine ofc just yeah tell me what u can! thanks...

and yes it stands for african dwarf frogs

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How many do you have? Technically yes, they could live in a 10 their whole life as long as you don't have too many other fish in the tank with them.

I've seen their fertilization (I believe) ritual but I don't know much about their breeding after that, I've worked at an LFS for 4 years and haven't had anyone come in to say their african dwarf frogs have bred. But I have seen males attached to females in our store stocking tank.

You can tell male and female with these fairly easily. It can be harder to tell the younger they are though (they gotta be sexually mature to be able to differentiate male from female) BUT, the boys will have nodules in their armpits, under their arm. they'll look like small pimples, and will either be white or pink colored. These have something to do with when the male wraps his arms around the female in their fert. ritual. (the boy kinda piggy backs on the girl). The boys are always more slender than the girls, if you've got a 'fatty' frog, its probably a female.

and the females will be more plump, fatter in the abdomen, and their cloaca is a more, swollen kind of shape. They will not have nodules in their armpits.

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They only need about a gallon of water per frog so you could have a group of them in a 10 gallon. I have a single one in a 3.5 gallon that is heavily planted and he seems very contented. He has plenty of spaces to hide and seems to enjoy making his way through the plants and their roots. I may give him a friend at some time but it would have to be one of the blond variety so I could tell them apart. Currently he only has a Nerite snail and a single Ramshorn as company.

New Threads