Adf

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Cichlidnut, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've got one male that is pretty skinny, I know. I'm working on getting more food to him. He's less intelligent than the other frogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Really cute! Can't wait until I can find some nice healthy adf's.

3. frogbreeder

frogbreederWell Known MemberMember

ADF "food fights" make me laugh. They always look so nasty, yet they are usually harmless. Like many ADF owners, I used to think that these frogs would snap at anything that moves, including other ADFs, because they are not able to see very well and think that the other frogs might be food. But, after much observation, I'm convinced that these frogs are easily able to recognize each other as individuals by their sense of smell, and that such behaviour is often intentional, rather than a case of mistaken identity. Have you ever noticed how one frog will take a quick sniff at the other frog, just before a disagreement breaks out over food?

I've noticed that some of the ADFs in my reject tank (which contains about twenty misfit frogs and retired breeders) are constantly involved in fights at meal-time, while other frogs are allowed to eat in peace. It's usually the same victims and same agressors doing the fighting. It's almost as if they are attempting to establish a hierarchy among themselves, by vying for seniority. I'm curious, has anyone else noticed this behaviour? Or, do you think these "food fights" occur randomly? Perhaps, I am simply anthropomorphizing (is that really a word?) too much. - frogbreeder

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  4. Lucy

lol Frogbreeder.
    I always thought an adf would grab another by mistake thinking it was grabbing at the food.
    The grabee (ha!) would then turn back on the grabber like they're saying 'Hey, that was my leg' then the tussle ensues.

I hadn't noticed any sniffing before the grab. Just the lunge.
    Then again, I didn't have as many as you nor the years of experience that you do. :)

5. OP
    OP
    C

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've got the skinny frog that seems to prefer fighting over eating. He's really a pain. I've only ever seen my males do it. I've got the big female that nobody messes with during meal time. She is so much better at finding food too! Did you notice how dark she is? I know you were asking about the dark frogs a while ago.

Odin gets his revenge from time to time. He's just so big and mellow. I've got some male Endlers in there too. Nobody seems to want to them. I will have had the frogs and Odin together for a full year come January.

I laugh about the food fights. After they happen, they can't find the food! What's the point of fighting over food that you lose in the process?

6. Lucy

Wondering if all females are the gluttons.
    My momma frog never had a issue getting her share (and more) of food!

7. OP
    OP
    C

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

From what I've seen and read, females are far more food motivated. Maybe it's because they have to put so much energy in to producing eggs.

8. frogbreeder

frogbreederWell Known MemberMember

Indeed, Lucy, I agree most female ADFs are gluttons. I'm certain that they would eat themselves to death, given the opportunity. I think Cichlidnut's correct, females are likely more motivated by food because they need the energy to produce eggs. I've never seen an extremely overweight male, chubby, yes, but not obese. Some males, like Cichlidnut's little guy, don't seem very interested at all in food, and sometimes require a bit of coaxing to get them to eat enough. Feeding them can definitely be a pain in the butt at times, especially when you're in a hurry.

Yes, Cichlidnut, your dark brown frog is very similar to the ones I have. I've noticed in some of the pictures you have posted that her stomach is spotted or mottled as well. And, the rays of her hind flippers are very long and slender, with heavily pigmented-webbing between them, exactly like my little guys. Hopefully, I'll eventually find some more of these unusually dark-coloured frogs to breed. They sure are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your video. All the best. - frogbreeder

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice