Adf With Bloat, Treatment Notes/updates

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by bitseriously, Apr 15, 2018.

1. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

[edit 4/18; I updated title of thread to reflect transition from asking question to logging treatment/progress]

I posted this question on another thread, got no replies or comments, so starting a new one...
    One of my female adf is starting to bloat. I don’t think she’s gravid because I have a rather randy male in the same tank and he’s not all over her. Ie, if she was preggers, he’s be on her like glue.
    She’s not bloating w air, because she has no difficulty staying below surface.
    I’ve read bloat in adf is typically either bacterial origin, or constipation/impaction. And I know prognosis is not optimistic.
    I’m a big fan of trying easiest treatment options first, but I can’t find any info about laxative foods/constipation in adf, except pages dealing with prevention (and I also checked through the much deeper acf info).
    I’m doubtful peas would work, which would be the go-to option for fish. Plus, would adf even eat them? They’d have to be chopped to just the right bite size, right?
    What do y’all suggest? Worth getting Maracyn-2 and starting a treatment round?

PS Params 0/0/10, pH 7.5, temp 77
    Diet is pretty much all frz bloodworms, not overfeeding, species only tank, except for some amanos. Am I missing anything?

PPS I do have Epsom salts and will be starting 1hr per day bath, @ 1tsp/gal.

TIA!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

She might be bloated because she ate a pebble or something 0r she might be bloated because she has too much water whatever it is take her to a vet for an X-ray to see if she swallowed something if she didn’t then as the vet to get the fluids out

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Maybe soak some small bits of pea in blood worm juice. The smell should get their attention. You could also try frozen daphnia.

4. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

Minor update:
    She's been in a hospital tank for 2 nights now, had 3 epsom salt baths. No change in condition (wasn't really expecting anything).
    What I can say is she's not pooping. She's in a bare bottom 5g, and no waste at all (at least nothing solid).
    Doesn't rule out a bacterial infection, and doesn't speak to cause (ie could be a foreign object, digestive issue, so on), and sadly doesn't change prognosis. It's just something I can add to the diagnostic process/tree.
    Since confirming no pooping ±24hrs into treatment, I have not fed her. I'll soak some pea bits tonight as @Lucy suggested above, and expect she'll scarf them (bloat or not, she's always hungry). Fingers crossed.

5. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

Who knew backlighting could be a reasonable facsimile of a froggie X-ray?
    Two pics below are same shot. Second pic shows some features, highlighted, for disambiguation.
    Blue is lungs, green is stomach and everything else, and yellow areas are basically see-thru, and appear to be all fluid. Ie fluid appears to be outside of abdominal cavity and away from where organs are. As always, 2d doesn’t represent as well as 3d or video would. Cool, yet weird, and also a bit sad.
    And there was a poop today. Nothing significant, but change from status quo is good. And she just ate about half a pea. I’ll edit this post tomorrow w more details on how that went.
    D1C3857E-884B-43B1-8852-A6C6E7D8A85F.png
    19E2E027-9B43-4D88-AE1A-F6D29AD2B7D6.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    bitseriously

A sad update for anyone following: my bloated frog died on Thursday night.
    I don’t get overly sad about these things (so I’m not seeking commiseration), but given how much I use this forum to learn about problems, symptoms, treatment and prognosis, I thought that a final entry to describe and summarize the outcome is appropriate.
    I saw no improvement in the bloated condition as a result of the Mayacyn 2 bath treatment.
    She ate half a blanched pea on Wednesday night, on Thursday night she refused food for the first time since I’ve had her, and was clearly not comfortable in the bath, constantly trying to find a way out. She showed the same behavior that night in her 1hr Epsom soak. Sadly, she was dead by Friday morning.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Well, that stinks. I'm so sorry.
    I have a frog that bloats on and off for unknown reasons. Been like that for a year now. Sometimes she looks like a frog ball then goes to slightly bloated. Had another doing the same thing..both started at the same time. The other only lasted a few months before it passed.
    These things are strange sometimes.

dit:
    I missed the images. Really great (albeit sad) shots.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice