ADf White Lump - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by turnonthebrightlights, Apr 7, 2012.

1. turnonthebrightlights

turnonthebrightlightsValued MemberMember

Hi all

I have just noticed one of my ADF's has a large white lump on his head, and looks like it has a little one on his front hand.

Does anyone know what this could be and if it's potentially infectious to my other ADF and fish?

I currently have him/her in a net at the top of the tank in the water. It's appeteite seems to have been affected a little too. I had an ADF die the other day who seemed a bit bloated. I have another who looks perfectly fine. All water perameters are fine.

Any help would be massively appreciated

Thanks

Greg

Attached Files:

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

I'm sorry about your frogs :(

I don't see them listed in your aquarium info.
    Tank size? Tank mates? Readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Is his front flipper there or is it consumed by the white lump?
    Is it fuzzy, swollen?
    I've been battling a bacterial infection that sounds similar but didn't effect the head.

There aren't many meds that are good for frogs and they are hard to diagnose.
    I'd probably start a round of maracyn 1 and 2.

Hopefully Frogbreeder will sign on with some in put.

Good luck

3. OP
    OP
    turnonthebrightlights

Thanks Lucy

Do you think this could be contagious?

Tank size 55g (UK). Amm 0 Nitrite 0 Natrate 10.

Tank mates: Mainly various strains of Rainbows, Westher Loaches, Shrimp (Bamboo, Rock and Ammano) Corys, 2 Bolivians and a pair of Double Red aposto's. All been living happily really.

Front Flipper still there at present. Lumps seem smooth

He's not eating at all now and movement has lessened.

I only really want to put meds in the tank if it 100% won't harm any of the other tankmates

4. Lucy

My experience and knowledge with adf disease is limited.
    Since you just lost one it might be a good idea to move the two into something smaller.
    That way if you decide to medicate you're not medicating fish unnecessarily.

5. OP
    OP
    turnonthebrightlights

Thanks Lucy.. Not possible really as I only have the one tank. I've had them in there nearly a year now and all has been well. Until now.

6. Lucy

Things can change pretty quickly with these little guys.
    I had mine for 4 years by themselves, then wham, they got sick along with any subsequent spawn.

Can you get your hands on a Kritter Keeper? They're pretty cheap and come in handy in a pinch.
    I guess it's fairly late where you are though.
    They'd be ok without a filter but the water would need to be kept warm and consistant.

7. OP
    OP
    turnonthebrightlights

Yeah, it's 22.50 here, and fast approaching bedtime!

8. frogbreeder

frogbreederWell Known MemberMember

It would definitely be best to isolate the frogs before treating them if at all possible and treat all of the frogs that were in the tank (whether they appear ill or not), because such infections are usually contagious. The infection may or may not affect your fish. So, for the time being, I'd just watch the fish closely for any signs of fungus, but leave them untreated in the main tank. A small container, such as a critter-keeper or betta container, can be used to isolate the frogs for treatment, or even a large fish-bowl will work. As best I can tell from the photo, it does look like you are dealing with a serious and advanced fungal infection. I'd recommend trying Maroxy and/or a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two to treat the infection as quickly as possible. But to be honest, usually once the infection has progressed to this stage, there is very little that can be done. I certainly hope your frog responds well to the treatment. Good luck. - frogbreeder

9. OP
    OP
    turnonthebrightlights

Hi all

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

The little guy had sadly passsed away the night I put this original post up. Continuing to moniter the other frog and fish

Thanks again.

Greg

10. Lucy

:( I'm so sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice