Adf Tank

draagyn84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A few months ago I got myself 2 African Dwarf Frogs that I love and adore!! For the first few weeks I had them they were active and happy in a community tank but I had read that I should keep them in their own tank so about a month ago I moved them.

Since I moved them I literally never see them. They hide all of the time.

Should I move them back into the community tank or leave them in their own?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Trust your own observations, not solely on what you've read online and from strangers. However, I am very aware of such advice about Dwarf Frogs, as questions concerning them are relatively common. Ask yourself this: before the move, did it work out just fine? If so, why change? Don't be afraid to have some autonomy.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My experience with adf has been the opposite of yours. I also started with my adf in a community tank, and moved them to their own home shortly after. I find that caring for them is easier there, and they appear happier (I've even raised a batch of eggs to frogs, which got re-homed locally).
So my questions are:
- Is the structure of the tanks the same or different? Did they have places to hide in the community tank, ie if no place to hide maybe thats why you saw them more. Or were they always hungry so they were out and about more, vs now getting full quick, and retreating for nap time?
- What's your take on caring for them on their own vs community? Easier, harder?
- Do you think they're happier hiding? You could put them in a bare bottom tank and see them all day long, but how happy would they be? Is this about what makes them happy, or you?
All that said, I agree with @scarface, don't be afraid to make a call that works for you, somewhere at the intersection of what's easy for you, what's enjoyable for you, and what's good for the frogs.

draagyn84

Reaction score
I've gone with my gut and moved them back into the community tank. They have loads of dark little caves and plants to hide in but they look happier in the community tank!

Their own tank was set up the same with hiding places etc but it was smaller so I don't know if that might have had something to do with it.

I never really had any problems with feeding etc as I fed them blood worms by hand to make sure they got what they needed before the fish got to it. I simply moved them on the things I had read but I'm glad I went with my gut now and moved them back

Thanks for your advice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom