Adf Tadpole Help- Fungus And Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Paper Spiders, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Paper Spiders

Paper SpidersValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +144
    Hi everyone,

I have had a long, long summer trying to raise my ADF tadpoles to adulthood. Luckily, my frogs mate every five days, because I have lost batch after batch of tadpoles.

I have finally gotten to a system that seems to be working. I have about 20+ large tadpoles, all at the hindlegs point. They are in about 4 gallons of water. 60% of their water is changed out daily. They are fed one large batch of BBS per day (I just cannot manage more with working full time). Every night, I seem to loose one or two. When they die, they are always found covered in a fuzzy, white mold.

I am guessing there may be some kind of water quality issue? Do I need to up the size of their tank again?

Also, how do I start to wean them onto other foods? Should I grow out some brine shrimp? Try frozen shrimp? I am worried I will not get a scud or daphnia culture going in time for when they're too big for BBS.

Thank you for any help.

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you hope our frog keepers can help you today

3. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    No more deaths so far, and one now has arms and legs.

I am a bit worried about what to feed them after baby brine shrimp.

4. Kjeldsen

KjeldsenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +220
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I won't be any help, but reading with interest. I've never even attempted to raise tadpoles and just let nature take its course, so hat's off to you. I've heard that it can be difficult.

5. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    I've raised many tadpoles, and they are one of the easiest creatures to care for. My other tadpoles just seem to survive off rotting leaves and microfauna, but these African Dwarf frogs are something else. They are so tiny, smaller than a grain of rice, yet 100% carnivores. I've had so much trouble keeping them alive and healthy.

6. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  7. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    I use no filter, and I use no filter inside of the parent frogs tank. I do change out over 50% of the water every day though...

Did you have a lot of success with them in a spawning net?

8. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    100% success with older tadpoles which survived with the adults (most didn't). I needed to be dedicated to provide frequent feedings by using a pipette to select tiny daphnia etc.

Success with the net would depend on the water quality of the tank it is in.

If I wanted to raise bigger numbers (which I don't as I cannot accomodate them) I would raise them with infusoria in my fry tank as I have done many times with fish fry including Danios and Rainbows.

Bowl45 and Danio fry Copy.

This can easily provide 50+ young fish.

9. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    The parent's tank is a heavily planted established tank with a decent cyclops population.

But I have had a heck of a time feeding these tadpoles infusoria, and I attribute most of the earlier deaths to starvation. The tides seem to be turning though, as I have had no deaths, and the tadpoles are picking at frozen daphnia. I am still feeding them BBS, but they get a half cube of frozen daphia just before tank cleaning time.

I think I may be out of the woods. Now I just need to find people who would like some frogs.

10. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
  11. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    I have 26 tads at this point, and one froglet. The main 26 are at the point where they have backlegs and teensy arms.
    I got some frozen daphnia, which they seem to pick at. I cannot wait for the day I don't have to hatch BBS.

12. OP
    OP
    Paper Spiders

Ratings:
    +144
    A huge development!

Yesterday I fed the tadpoles frozen mysis shrimp, and they took to it right away! I see an end to the BBS hatching. I am wondering how long I should continue feeding them BBS at this point....