ADF question for experienced owners

oliviawilliam2017
Member
i recently got new african dwarf frogs as my other two have passed away. both of them seem to have slight eye clouding (one more than the other), but it’s been going on for weeks and i haven’t noticed the clouding getting worse. aside from that they are both healthy. i am just wondering, is it possible that the eye clouding could be caused by any of the following:
1.)their eyes are naturally like this for whatever reason
2.)they are about to shed and it’s just taking a while
3.)they have algae buildup on their eyes from moving against the glass (one of my bettas had this exact issue from glass surfing all the time)

i understand that cloudy eyes might mean bacterial infection, but as i’ve said, they’ve looked the same for weeks. also, i know how sensitive ADFs are and would not like to give them medication until i am 100% certain that they need it. if anyone is experienced in ADFs please let me know what you think, thanks!
016CA45E-216F-47EE-9842-D2EDEC65C920.jpeg
 
Wrench
Member
oliviawilliam2017 said:
i recently got new african dwarf frogs as my other two have passed away. both of them seem to have slight eye clouding (one more than the other), but it’s been going on for weeks and i haven’t noticed the clouding getting worse. aside from that they are both healthy. i am just wondering, is it possible that the eye clouding could be caused by any of the following:
1.)their eyes are naturally like this for whatever reason
2.)they are about to shed and it’s just taking a while
3.)they have algae buildup on their eyes from moving against the glass (one of my bettas had this exact issue from glass surfing all the time)

i understand that cloudy eyes might mean bacterial infection, but as i’ve said, they’ve looked the same for weeks. also, i know how sensitive ADFs are and would not like to give them medication until i am 100% certain that they need it. if anyone is experienced in ADFs please let me know what you think, thanks!
016CA45E-216F-47EE-9842-D2EDEC65C920.jpeg
Let me go very carefully inspect my guys eyes and I will get back to you in about 30 minutes.
 
Kjeldsen
Member
Hi
The fact that both of them have cloudy eyes indicates a bacterial infection. Definitely not normal. Antibiotics are safe for frogs, and one that can be absorbed through the water is Kanamycin (or Kanaplex). Just follow directions on the package and keep us posted.
 
  • Thread Starter
oliviawilliam2017
Member
Kjeldsen said:
Hi
The fact that both of them have cloudy eyes indicates a bacterial infection. Definitely not normal. Antibiotics are safe for frogs, and one that can be absorbed through the water is Kanamycin (or Kanaplex). Just follow directions on the package and keep us posted.
actually, i checked again and only one has this.
 
  • Thread Starter
oliviawilliam2017
Member
Wrench said:
Let me go very carefully inspect my guys eyes and I will get back to you in about 30 minutes.
what did you see?
 
Wrench
Member
oliviawilliam2017 said:
what did you see?
No white hazed eyes, I could not get a clean picture,sorry.. I'm not sure what's going on here.
I'm gonna google to learn as well.
 
  • Thread Starter
oliviawilliam2017
Member
Wrench said:
No white hazed eyes, I could not get a clean picture,sorry.. I'm not sure what's going on here.
I'm gonna google to learn as well.
you’re okay! and me neither let me know what you find.
 
  • Thread Starter
oliviawilliam2017
Member
Kjeldsen said:
Hi
The fact that both of them have cloudy eyes indicates a bacterial infection. Definitely not normal. Antibiotics are safe for frogs, and one that can be absorbed through the water is Kanamycin (or Kanaplex). Just follow directions on the package and keep us posted.
i just realized too, he has just shed today, and his eyes are still hazy
 
Ziccurate
Member
Or maybe high nitrite levels in the aquarium? Can also be the reason for the eyes to go ... misty
 
  • Thread Starter
oliviawilliam2017
Member
Ziccurate said:
Or maybe high nitrite levels in the aquarium? Can also be the reason for the eyes to go ... misty
hi, i can give you all of the info about this tank and maybe it’ll help. tank is 5 gallons, it has 2 frogs, 2 snails and it heavily planted. it has a filter and is consistently heated between 78-82 (i have a heater set at 78 but because it is summer this tank unfortunately has temperature fluctuations. i do as much as i can to stop this from happening).
ammonia-0.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-0 (none of my tanks have nitrates for whatever reason, not sure why. yes they’re cycled)
pH-6.4 (actively raising it with crushed coral)
gH-10
kH-2

is my high ammonia possibly causing his eyes to be like this? i didn’t even know my ammonia was above 0 i have been noticing a LOT of detritus in this tank. even though i do a water change every time i feed them (which is every other day) to reduce high ammonia and detritus build up.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom