ADF Post Breeding

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Mmbrown, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi again!

So I finally have the extra tank to quarantine a new frog, and I'd like to get Kermit a lady friend. If everything works out and she goes in with him, I may get some eggs. While I probably won't actively try to get eggs, if it happens, I'd like to try to raise them. Though, that's not actually where my question comes in. I'll likely have questions when that time comes, but I've read a lot about it so far. My question is what to do after you've raised them into little froglets?

How many will likely survive, on average? How large a grow out tank would you need for that many? Do you sell them to your LFS, or online, or something else? How do you know if you have a market for them so you don't end up with X number of grown frogs that people don't want to buy?

Some of these seem like they could be answered with common sense, but it never hurts to ask. Plus, I'd like to hear your specific experiences.

I'm hopping (ha, get it) frogbreeder will see this, since I love to read her posts and know she has extensive knowledge and experience. But I post this as a thread instead of a PM because I know there are also a lot of other members who can have unique input and experience that I would love to hear. Plus, this way, others can learn from it too :)

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) She'll see this!
    I'm always impressed with her replies.

Have you read this? It's got a ton of info.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/96366-adf-tadpole-development.html

I had a tough time raising tads. Out of all the eggs and tadpoles only two from two separate spawns made it it adulthood.
    Naturally I kept them. :)

Every fish store is different. You would have to ask your lfs if they would take any.

3. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Me as well! I also always enjoy what you have to say about the little guys, Lucy.

Some other questions I forgot: If I were to ship them for whatever reason, how old should they be for them to handle it? Or, does that not much matter? Then, if you have a large operation going on, how often should you introduce new blood? Not that I'll ever get to that point (or at least, not in the foreseeable future), but for the sake of knowledge I am curious.

Wow, only two. I didn't expect the rate to be so low. I think I would definitely keep them too, if there were only a few :)

4. frogbreeder

frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

Morgan and Lucy, thanks for the compliments. I'm always more than happy to share any information I have collected over the years about ADFs and offer my advice, for what it's worth. As you know, I absolutely adore these little frogs. Morgan, you are very wise to plan ahead, because you definitely don't want to get stuck with more frogs than you can keep yourself or find homes for. While some pet-stores are willing to take ADFs that customers have bred, many won't (presumably because of the risk of infectious disease). You'll need to ask the stores in your area about their specific policies regarding this matter. If they are willing to take your frogs, in my experience, however, they won't be willing to pay for them. But, you never know. Certainly, it can't hurt to ask.

As for tadpole mortality rates, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation. Some people have a great deal of difficulty raising the tadpoles (and, as I've mentioned in previous posts, it may not have anything to do with the way they are raising them), while other people find that nearly all of the tadpoles survive, undergo metamorphosis, and grow to maturity, without any problems. My advice would be to collect only as many eggs as you wish to raise at once, in case they all survive, unless you know for certain that you can find suitable homes for them. If you do experience difficulty in raising the tadpoles, don't worry, because you'll have plenty of opportunities in the future, once your frogs begin to spawn.

Genetically, it's best not to breed frogs that are closely related to each other. This is why I always recommend buying the parents at different times or from different places. Most breeders keep a few pure lines and cross-breed them from there, so that related frogs are not interbred, reducing the chance of deformities and genetic diseases, etc.

As for selling them on the internet and shipping them, it's entirely up to you. I much prefer to deliver my frogs in person, instead of shipping them (fortunately, all of the stores that I supply are within driving distance, and I even have a couple of customers who like to pick their frogs up themselves, instead). That way I'm certain that my frogs will arrive in good shape. But, many breeders do ship ADFs by 24 hour courier. A couple of different methods can be used to pack ADFs (i.e. "dry" vs. "wet" shipping), and I can tell you a bit more about this subject later, if necessary.

Personally, I like to keep my froglets for at least five months, before selling them. Sometimes, I don't sell them until they are sexually mature, at around six months of age, because froglets require a little more care than mature frogs (i.e. better water quality, more frequent feeding, etc.). Unfortunately, I've seen froglets as young as two months old being sold in some of the larger chain pet-stores. To raise them to sexually maturity, you'll need a minimum of one gallon of water per froglet, but two gallons per froglet would be much better.

I bet Kermit will be one happy fellow to finally have a female, froggy friend. :) Lucky, little guy! All the best. - frogbreeder

5. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Informative as always. I think your whole operation is just so cool. I'll be sure to update.

I also forgot to mention that I have read that link, Lucy, but thank you for reminding me it exists :)

6. frogbreeder

frogbreeder Well Known Member Member

You're welcome, Morgan. Please do keep us posted. I always appreciate your updates. I'm very pleased to hear that Kermit is doing so well. He's such a cute, little character. If his singing is keeping you awake at night now, just wait until you get him a lady friend. :)

Regarding quarantine procedures, I'd recommend a quarantine period of at least two months, but three would be even safer. Many of the infectious diseases to which ADFs are prone have lengthy incubation periods, several weeks in some cases. Also, it is best to wait until the new frogs are sexually mature, before introducing them to an existing population of mature frogs (i.e. in this case, Kermit). Usually, this isn't an issue, however, provided that the frogs aren't extremely young, when they are purchased. But, I mention this because, as I said, I've seen some very young froglets being sold in some of the larger chain stores recently. Poor, little guys were just babies. :(

Can't wait to hear how you make out frog-shopping. Good luck! - frogbreeder

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm excited!
    Good luck Morgan and please keep us posted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice