Adf Has Some Kind Of Fungus?

1. S

SarahKevin New Member Member

I got my ADF about 2 yrs ago. He's been healthy and happy for most of the time, but now all of a sudden, he appears to have developed a fungal infection. I noticed something on his nose yesterday, a small green-ish yellow blotch. I thought it was a piece of food and tried to gently rub it off with a q-tip, but it didn't come off. I also noticed he hasn't been eating for the past few days, and now today the green-yellow blotch has gotten much worse. I've been doing 50% water changes (with dechlorinated water) everyday, but it just looks like it is getting worse. Although he's generally a relaxed frog, I actually thought he was dead this morning because of how lethargic he's been acting. I'm wondering if this fungus is causing him not to eat. If you look closely at the photo, you can see that the fungus appears to be all over his back as well, but it's not as built up as it is on his face. 396395-9ed94e19ce855c920d32648ebd2b6f68.jpg

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

im not sure this is the right person to tag but i think i am correct @bizaliz3 , are you the 1 with these type frogs? this doesnt look good at all. i have 2 adf and have never seen this. i know @Gypsy13 is a great fish healer but not so sure she is versed in frog healing. but ill tag her anyways. hope you get this figured out, poor guy. best of luck

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I wish I could help. But I can't sorry.
    I did keep them like 5-6 years ago, but very briefly.

I am pretty sure @Lucy has a lot of ADF knowledge....

4. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

YIKES, this does not look good :( try using a qtip soaked in diluted hydrogen peroxide and gently go over the fungus twice a day. you could also try doing a lamisil bath a day, like you would for treating chytrid fungus. lamisil is an antifungal medication.

does he have any other tankmates? i'd be concerned the fungus might spread to others, or the spores could be in the tank.

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I'm not great with African Dwarf Frogs, but I'll try to help. What are the parameters? What's the temperature and size of your tank? Any other tankmates? How long have you had the frog? What has it been eating?

6. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Definitely try the hydrogen peroxide. Use a cotton ball or swab soaked but not dripping and be very gentle while dabbing. Have you offered live food? The way it sounds I believe you have to try the lamisil bath. Please try both and give us an update within twelve hours?

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Welcome to FishLore
    I'm sorry your frog isn't well. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to recommend. Usually when things progress to this stage it's too late.
    I have never heard of using lamisil for anything but chytrid, which, imo this isn't. Chytrid doesn't appear as a regular fungal infection.

@maggie thecat might be able to help

8. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Definitely need to jump on that ASAP.

Lamisil kills all sorts of fungi, not just chytrid , so if you have some, use it. Betadine (tamed iodine) wash could also be effective. I think you can use it as a dab, rather than the peroxide suggested above. But let me check.

Edit. Yep. Betadine as a dab on affected area. Let dry before returning frog to tank.

Other options: malachite green or methylene blue (look at anti ich medications. ) Used in a bath. Or whole tank treatment.

9. Gypsy13

Works. :)

10. OP
    OP
    S

SarahKevin New Member Member

Hey, thank you everyone, I wasn't getting email notifications for any of these responses except for the 1st one for some reason.... I only logged back on to write what happened in case anyone else's ADF gets this fungus. (Also, I wanted to use hydrogen peroxide on the fungus, but I couldn't find any threads saying that was OK for ADFs and I didn't want to risk burning his skin, but if this happens again I will try that first.)

Luckily, he seems to be recovered! I went out to my local PetSmart a few hours after creating this thread and bought API Fungal Cure. I was skeptical because I've seen other threads warning against these types of medications (for both fish and ADFs), but I was desperate and I knew he hadn't eaten in a few days. It actually seemed to work. Each packet is for a ten gallon tank, he is currently in a smaller tank (I was in the process of moving him to another tank but I didn't want to stress him out more), so I just estimated the amount of the powder, mixed it with some of the water in his tank and poured it back in. It turned the water bright green, and the next day I did another 50% water change and added another 1/10 of the packet to the water. The medication didn't seem to do anything for the 1st day or so, but on day 3 the fungus began to recede. Yesterday the fungus was completely gone. He is eating again and looks to be feeling much better!

11. Gypsy13

Yay! Good job! Both of you. Good news is always welcome. Thank you for the update. Don’t be a stranger now. Hang out at the aquarium forum tab. I love the articles! :)