ADF Foods and Feeding - Page 2

frogbreeder

You could try holding the pellet slightly in front of the frog's mouth and a little off to one side, about an inch above the frog's head, and releasing it. Hopefully, the frog will lunge at it, as it falls past its mouth. Or you could just wait for the frog to lunge and try to release the pellet at precisely the right time, lol. Admittedly, hand-feeding takes a bit of practice, because of the way these frogs eat. Eventually, the frogs will figure it out. Oh well, you can always try to get them their own tank eventually. As long as you make sure they are getting enough to eat, they should be just fine. - frogbreeder

josh7

Well the pellets are hard to do tried today and the earthworms were the only thing they would take but what type of live foods are best do you think frogbreeder to feed them for a variety besides the shrimp and worm.

frogbreeder

Well, they really love whiteworms, if you can find someplace to buy a starter culture. Good thing about whiteworms is that you don't need to remove the fecal material first and they are small enough that you don't need to cut them into pieces. They are much less gross than earthworms. Live blackworms are also good, but they require a small aquarium for the culture. I sometimes collect live mosquito larvae (a.k.a. glassworms) from the edges of my garden pond, but these pose certain risks. They can introduce unwanted organisms into the aquarium environment. Cultured whiteworms and blackworms are safer. Commercially prepared frozen foods such as mysis shrimp and HikarI bloodworms from the pet store are most convenient. I guess it depends on what you can get where you live. - frogbreeder

josh7

Okay thanks for all the help

One more question can I feed ADFs raw fish meat like wild trout meat.

sirdarksol

ADFs are not fish hunters. Fish probably isn't the best food source.

To put this very simply:
You generally want your pets' diets to be as close to what they would eat in the wild. In the case of ADFs, this is the larvae of a number of different insect species, as well as aquatic worms and perhaps micro shrimp species.

Unless you have an understanding of the different kinds of proteins and nutrients in various meats and how they compare to your pets' ideal diets, it is best not to stray from this.

Butterfly

One more question can I feed ADFs raw fish meat like wild trout meat.

Since they are very young I would think the variety advised would be good.

Many times our aquatic friends don't recognize foods we give them as food for a few feedings. Trying too many different varities at once may be confusing and could lead to a dirty tank if uneaten food isn't cleaned up in a timely manner.

So trying the pellets and one other food until they are eating them well before adding something else would probably work best.

I'm not sure about the raw fish.

Carol

josh7

Okay was just wondering for future refrence right now I am still trying to get them to accept the pellets right now they will only take worm pieces.

jerilovesfrogs

I had to not feed mine for afew days...so they would be pretty hungry, and more likely to eat the pellets...and it worked. I can hand feed them pellets...but it dud take practice on the frogs part, as well as mine.

but now that they are used to pellets, they do hunt for them as well

-j

josh7

I just tried that didn't feed them yesterday and at about 4 today fed them the pellets and they accepted them so how does this sound for a final diet 1-2 days earthworms 3 days the pellets and 1-2 days whole frozen brine shrimp.

soltarianknight

That sounds pretty good

e_watson09

Alright so I bought 4 ADFs about a week ago.

Until yesterday none of them would eat. Yesterday I come to find one with its leg caught in the filter. Saved him and knew he wasn't going to make it. Found him dead this morning. Tested my water everything was perfect.

Last night I had also tried to feed them again. I got one of them to eat 2-3 NLS pellets and one to eat a single pellet the other didn't budge even when food landed on his head.

I'm really struggling with getting them to eat. I've tired frozen blood worms, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, and the NLS pellets.

I have a turkey baster so I would make sure the food was around them every time but they never seem interested.

Oh and they were all pretty skinny when I brought them home.

Any suggestions? I am dirtying up my tank pretty bad and I was doing 50% weekly water changes before and I've started doing daily or every other day 50% changes due to the extra food.

I keep fish

They don't have good vision so you have to put it right in front of them.Otherwise I'm not the person to ask.

amber0107

I've been having some trouble with mine as well. I turn off the filter during feeding time to get the food to sink down onto his little plate. He does well with frozen bloodworms. Sometimes he'll eat the pellets and frozen brineshrimp, but that's hit or miss...literally. I've seen some use tongs to put the food right in front of their little faces until they reach out and get it, but I can't get mine to come out of hiding when I'm near his tank.

Shine

Seriously, if they are that hard to feed, how do they even survive in the wild??

Akari_32

Mine actively hunt when I drop their pellets in. They squabble over food, too. Have you tried soaking their food in garlic water? Gets mine going

e_watson09

I do have galic I could use and try that but these guys just are causing me to get grey hair.

snapper

With mine I put bloodworms in a syringe so they're halfway sticking out, and then wave them in front of the frog's face until he goes for it. Then squirt the rest out and they can usually find them.

Akari_32

Have you tried *not* catering to them? Just dropping the food in and letting them figure it out themselves? That's what I do, and mine are fat-fat-fat! They even have a betta and shrimp to compete with!

amber0107

Akari, yours have a sand substrate, right? I wonder if that helps because mine can't seem to find his tiny pellets if they end up on the gravel.

Akari_32

Yeah, I have black sand. Even when I had black gravel, though, they still did pretty good.

amber0107

I have no idea why mine seems unable to find his food. Just now I was cleaning it's tank and the silly frog came and jumped in his dish ready for his food. If I could have scolded the little thing I would have since I just siphoned up bloodworms he didn't eat!

Akari_32

Doesn't it figure

Lucy

Sometimes it takes a while for them to ge used to feeding time.
Are there fish in the tank? Any chance they are being intimidated?

If they were skinny when you get them they could have been already ill.
Sadly, many of them are before we get them.

e_watson09

They will not hunt them I tried that to begin with. I have been dropping the stuff so it falls in front of their faces.

There are no tank mates.

Akari_32

If they have no tank mates, I'd just drop the food in and let them figure it out, really. Its not like some thing else is gunna get it before the do

e_watson09

If they have no tank mates, I'd just drop the food in and let them figure it out, really. Its not like some thing else is gunna get it before the do

Decomposing food in my tank is an issue.

Akari_32

Remove it after a bit

e_watson09

I've done that already and they don't bother with it. I left it for an hour and then did a water change due to the extra food. They didn't eat they stayed in the same spot.

Lucy

Since they're by themselves you might want to leave it in for more than an hour.
It shouldn't foul the water after a few hours.
Hopefully they'll find it.

e_watson09

Good news my persistancy has paid off, well kinda! This is a improvement atleast.

I showered them in pellets and one went nuts eating a ton and the other two each ate a pellet!

I took out some big rocks they kept hiding under and added more plants instead so I'm hoping that did the trick.

Akari_32

Yay! Some times they just need a little help lol

Jancy

I use reptile tongs to feed mine everything but the Pellets. I find it very easy. They come right to the front of the tank to eat.
You could try giving the tank a little tap before feeding. They'll get use to hearing that tap and will come right over after a while, knowing it's feeding time.
When feeding pellets, I do soak mine in tank water for about 15 minutes prior to feeding to soften them up.

slashgash

Mine are real easy to feed. They won't eat the pellets, but they go nuts for frozen bloodworms. As soon as I drop it into the tank they start snapping at each other trying to find the food.

alspny55

I have one ADF in a tank with mollies and Plecos he will come out and eat fish flakes and I will also capture him every now and again to make sure he gets his blood worms... he never gets too freaked out w/ this and at least I know he's eating enough...

jerilovesfrogs

I feed mine with plant tweezers. I don't like a lot of extra food in my tank either. it took them several days-a week, but they got it. they *will* hunt if food falls out of the tongs...but they like the tweezers a lot.

Nieveso

IKR HOW DO THEY???????????? cheeky lil guys

Bertney

I got an adf. the only other frog I've owned were a few ACF's. I'm wondering if their diet is alike? Right now, I got these little cubes of food that says they can feed frogs and fish. I put ut on the tip of a kebob, (and make sure he won't hurt himself) then he eats from there. After about a minute or so, I take it out. He eats once a day. He's doing just fine like that, but are there any suggestions for other things for him that aren't super expensive? anything healthier, and any treats?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Akari_32

I use HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites. ZooMed also has an Aquatic Frog and Newt food that looks decent. TopFin (PetSmart brand) has their own version of HBH. Mine also loved SakI HikarI sinking goldfish pellets, but they are like $20+ a pound lol They'll also readily accept anything small and moving, like shrimp and fish fry, and will take any frozen food.

Claire Bear

I feed mine frozen blood worms, shrimp pellets and aquatic frog food.
They have a tiny saucer (1 inch across) at the bottom of their tank where I drop their food.
Good luck with your new buddy!

Lucy

Mine get frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms.
They won't touch HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites. (My last batch loved them)

Someone once mentioned Mysis shrimp are less messy than brine shrimp.
(Wish I could remember who)

For other food recommendations see here:

Bertney

Is freeze dried food alright for my frog?

Lucy

Freeze dried can cause constipation. It would be a good idea to avoid it.

What are the ingredients in the cube?
Is it frozen?

Bertney

here's the food I'm feeding him. He seems to enioy it. (Sorry, my cat ripped the bag thinking it was temptations )

Lucy

How is he able to get the food?

ADF's kind of lunge for their food, grab and swallow.
I'm not sure how much he is able to pick off a cube unless it breaks apart under water?

Bertney

I take a long kebob stick and place it on the end. It softens under water and practically break apart. He lunges and chomps it. He can pick it off don't worry I'm not starving him lol

Lucy

We got a picture of his food.
Where is the picture of your frog?

Bertney

There's little Andy :]

Lucy

Aww...Hiya Andy!
He's a cutie!

WendyLusch

HI Everyone! We bought my 9 year old a 10 gallon fish tank for Christmas. We finally got it cycled, added her glofish danios (I know people have strong feelings about them, but they’re so fun!) and got better at feeding/cleaning to get the ammonia levels back down to zero. Last weekend, we bought 2 African Dwarf Frogs to complete her tank. I’m very interested in using the “feeding station method” to feed them, but I can’t find anything to help us learn how to teach them to go to the plate (plastic reptile water dish). Most posts simply say “I taught my frogs to eat from a plate”, but don’t go into detail on how they did it. Could you please teach me how to teach them to use a feeding station?

The frogs are still getting acclimated to their new home and target feeding thawed bloodworms was next to impossible. The frogs wouldn’t come out from their hiding places, and I couldn’t see what I was doing. The fish are still swimming around with them every once in a while. I’m going to be doing multiple vacuuming/water changes to clean that up.

Any advice, videos, books, docs, etc that you could give me would be awesome. After the frogs and I learn what to do to feed them, I have to teach my 9 year old.

Triston Wasmund

Well I am guessing you feed them sinking pellets or something that sinks... Well basically you put the food in the dish, the frogs find it, and you continue to do it, and hopefully they will learn that the food is coming from the dish... It is kind of like getting a dog to learn that food and water comes from there bowls... whenever they are thirsty, they go to the bowl because they know that's where they get there water.... Please let me know if you understand and let me know what you feed them, how, and how they are doing..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies