ADF Foods and Feeding

trinket

I've only had my 2 ADFs for about a week now.

I've noticed bit of an issue-one of the frogs is way faster at finding the bloodworms than the other and eats almost all the food. By the time the second ADF notices there's food, the other has eaten most of it.

Last night I fed them and there didn't seem to be enough food, so tonight I added a bit more. I came back half an hour later to one very fat frog and one that was not. Looks like one got almost all the food, little bugger.

The one that had eaten a bunch was hanging out at the surface, which I gather is normal but his fat belly has me a little worried.

Anyways, what I'm wondering is if this is a cause for concern-one eating much faster than the other. How do you feed yours? I don't want to over handle them but I'm considering maybe taking them out of the tank and separately feeding them so I know they both eat but not overeat. I'm just not sure how to do this-with my betta I just quickly sink a container when he's close to the surface but the frogs hide whenever I put anything into the water. Is a net okay? Too stressful? (also wondering this for tank cleanings, up to now I've just used a gravel vacuum for partial water changes but feel I need to do a full cleaning soon)

How many bloodworms would you recommend for each frog? I've read that enough to make their bellies a little fat is enough, but for you, how many does that take?

Thanks.

Aquarist

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/care-sheet-for-african-dwarf-frogs.36417/

Good morning Trinket
The above link may help you some if you haven't already seen it. I don't have personal experience with frogs but I know some of our members do and I"m sure they'll share their knowledge.
It's my understanding that frogs don't see well. Something you may want to consider doing is spot feeding each frog with an eye dropper so you can pretty much get the food right in front of the frogs face.
Hold on for more responses.

Ken

Lucy

HI trinket, looks like you're going to have to take some measures to get the one to eat.
Taking them out for each feeding would be pretty stressful.
Ken's suggestion for spot feeding is good.
You can also use a plastic mesh craft sheet to separate them during feeding time.
I usually put in about 10-12 blood worms. Of course, this would depend on their age (size). They tussle over them so I target feed them. All their little worms land right where they're sitting/standing.
Every now and then, I do a full tank clean. I use a cup instead of a net to catch them.

trinket

I've tried using a turkey baster when I first got them but it didn't really work too well.

I'll have to give it some thought, craft mesh is a good idea.

gmen4life

well I have adf for id say a year now your local petvo should sell frozen bloodworm cubes that's what I use for mine its a whole cube every other day and they all have plump lil bellies so thaw a cube and feed them half of one to start..... my smallest one was finiky at first but he should get it either that or over feed one time and see how it goes just net out the waste when you are done I bet after a few feeding the lil fella will start to eat like a lil piggy

Lucy

I agree, he should get the hang of it. Soon he'll get used to the feeding schedule and be looking for his fair share

Charlene789

Hello,

I have 2 african dwarf frogs in my 20G tank. Theyve been with me for 2 months or so, but I'm noticing they are both getting very skinny. I try to give them blood worms and algae wafers, but my fat, greedy fish get to it all first. What's a good way to make sure my ADF's are eating well?

Lucy

That's one of the problems having ADF's with fish. The fish are so much quicker.
You'll need to spot feed them. Maybe when the other fish are busy eating, feed the ADF's on the other side of the tank. You can try using a turkey baster or those long reptile feeders (like big tweezers) to drop blood worms to them.
Mine are in a species only tank. It's easier to make sure they get fed.

SFwriter

Take half a tubifex worm cube, hydrate it and break up the clump with your fingers. Dump the whole thing into the tank. You'll have worms all over the tank and the frogs should be able to snag some. Don't use a whole cube, I use a whole one in a tank over twice the size of yours.

Akari_32

it maybe better to put them in a smaller tank. I had two in a 10 gallon, and even feeding them in the same spot every day, twice a day, they still lost a lot of weight. when they were in the 1 1/2 gallon, they were nice a fat, and happier because they had less of a ways to go to the surface

Lucy

I wouldn't suggest 2 in 1 1/2 gallons, there's not enough swim space My adults spent 2 years in a 5g. and I had to keep a close eye on the nitrates. They recently moved to a 10g.
Even if you drop the food on their heads they miss it. lol silly frogs!

Moving them to a species only tank is a good idea if they're not getting enough food.

macifire

My question is: how many days can a mature, healthy ADF go safely without being fed? I want to know what you other frog owners think because I've only had one for a few months. Thanks!

If you had to go out of town and couldn't get a frog sitter, what are your options, I wonder???

aylad

Just this morning I read that a couple of days should be ok. I don't have ADFs myself, though. Have you looked into an automatic feeder?

Lucy

I agree, a couple of days should be fine.
How long will you be gone?

Automatic feeders are usually geared toward fish. I've never used one but heard both good and bad things about them.
Mine eat thawed frozen blood worms, an auto feeder wouldn't work for that diet.

What tank is the frog in?

macifire

I could be gone for 5 days. My fish would eat anything from an auto feeder long b/f the frog had a chance, unfortunately. I feed the little guy frog pellets and thawed foods & I have to feed him by hand b/c my fish are too fast.

Do they hunt live ghost shrimp, My fish do sometimes but I wonder about a frog?? I was hoping someone would tell me they could feed off a sinkable 7-day feeder block....

aylad

Your profile says you have a quarantine tank. If you have an empty tank and plenty of seeded filter media, could you move your frogs into the QT with their own auto-feeder for the duration of your trip? This way they wouldn't have to compete with the fish.

I don't know that this is my best idea ever (just thinking outside the box) so definitely get someone else's opinion on this if you're tempted to give it a shot.

Lucy

I don't know the answer to this one either.
I've never left mine for that long. Only about 2 days for me.

aylad's idea of putting them in their own tank has good possibilties since some of the fish in your tank can get aggressive.
If fish aren't fed properly they may go after the less aggressive species.

I don't know anything about auto feeders.
However, the f/t bites will start to get moldy after a couple of days if not eaten right away and of course uneaten thawed frozen food will spoil
I'd hate for the frogs to get hungry and eat moldy food.

I pm'd Frogbreeder and asked her to look at this thread.
Perhaps she can give us a clearer answer through experience.

frogbreeder

Mature ADFs should be fed approximately 5 times per week (i.e fed three days, fasted one, fed two, fasted one, etc.). So, the longest they should go without food, at any given time, is only a couple of days, anything longer can pose health risks. I'm not sure why, but in my experience, the longer a frog goes without eating, the less likely it will start eating again, when given food. I think five days would be too long to leave them. Perhaps you could get someone to feed them while you are away, or an automatic feeder might work with HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites (that is, if your frogs actually eat these; mine won't touch them for some reason), but the pellets would probably dry out before they are dispenced. Sorry, I can't offer an easy solution. - frogbreeder

beckster914

Can you board them somewhere? I know my LFS does boarding for their customers. You just have to let them know if you need a tank, I think. Good luck.

ppate1977

I also hand feed mt adfs. I would not risk over 3 days. Not sure about an auto feeder, never used one. My frogs only eat from my fingers. Hope you find a solution. Maybe overfeed before you are gone for 5 days???

sanjin

Ghost shrimp would be too big for an ADF to eat if it tried. Could you put some live black worms in the tank? They can hide in the substrate, and so can be hunted and eaten over a longer period of time. (Fair warning though - some people can't keep these in their tank because their fish eat them so fast. Others have them reproduce so much they can't get rid of them.)

siobhan042

I have left my frogs for 4 days on a previous trip away. I usually overfeed beforehand and also feed the day I leave/come back. So if your going for 5 days - potentially this would be reduced to 3 days if you feed the day you leave/come back.

My frogs were fine, although my male gets a little on the thin side, my female carries more wieght so she usually seems fine!!

Siobhan

macifire

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It sounds like 5 days might be a little too long so I guess I'll have to set up my quarantine tank and try an auto feeder with pellets. I like the idea about using live worms but I'm certain my fish would find them before the frog. Hopefully I can get someone to help out; that would be so much easier!

macifire

Left my frog 5 days w/o any food....still fat & happy when I came back!

aylad

Awesome! Glad he's ok.

MeganS

I'm glad that your frog is okay. I wish I had seen your post earlier. I too have ADFs and I recently had to leave them for 10 days. I couldn't find anyone that could care for them while I was gone so I chose to use a 14 day Tetra Vacation Gel Feeder Block that they sold at my LFS. My frogs seemed to enjoy it and they were fine when I got home. I would much rather feed them their frog pellets but if you have to leave them alone Tetra Vacation worked and didn't cloud my tank water. I just wanted to let you know in case you were in the same situation sometime down the road.

josh7

I don't know where else to put this but I just added 2 African Dwarf frogs to my 10 gallon was wondering if wax worms are suitable food source for them.

soltarianknight

I should think not. These are aquatic frogs, wax womrs are a high fat treat for most terrestrial lizards and inverts. Blood worms, brine shrimp and aquatic frog pellets(I use zoo med brand)

josh7

Are mealworms suitable food source for them then

soltarianknight

NO. These are NOT terrestrial species, they are aquatic and need aquatic food sources. Blod worms, brine shrimp, vinigar eels, texas worms, aquatic frog pellets.

josh7

Okay then are earthworms okay then and I can't feed them wax worms or mealworms at all.

jerilovesfrogs

no, see earthworms are from the earth....so they aren't aquatic. so don't feed em to the frogs. imo, bloodworms, brine shrimp and hbh frog pellets are a good diet.

soltarianknight

Ohhh HBH, been wanting some of that forever lol. Besides, most earth worms will be too big, even when young, for a ADF to handle.

Lucy

I've never fed earthworms but according to Frogbreeder you can.
Here's a thread where she mentions them.
Please read carefully.

And a quote from this thread:

Mysis shrimp; brine-shrimp; glassworms (mosquito larvae); bloodworms (best fed sparingly, if at all); beefheart; blackworms; tubifex worms; earthworms; whiteworms; talapia fish; tuna or salmon steak; shrimp, mussels and prawns (from the grocery store); gammarus and krill (not particular favourites but some frogs will eat them); even canned tuna or cooked chicken breast (but these are messy); smaller frogs will eat smaller foods such as daphnia (water-fleas), cyclops (water fleas), bosmidea (water fleas). Although liver is sometimes recommended, it should probably be avoided since there is new evidence to suggest that feeding liver can cause vitamin A toxicity (personally, I believe this to be true). - frogbreeder

There is another thread where she describes how to cut them for young frogs.
Sorry, I could find it.
Maybe do a search for her posts for instructions.

edit:
Here is another good thread:

josh7

Okay but I know the mealworms and wax worms are not great for them but could I feed them these for 3 or 4 days and would they be fine in the long run because in 3 or 4 data is when I can get earth worms.

Lucy

We can only give recommendations.
I feed mine the same as Jers recommends above.
Ultimately it's up to you what you want to do.
Earthworms should not be their staple diet either.

soltarianknight

Okay but I know the mealworms and wax worms are not great for them but could I feed them these for 3 or 4 days and would they be fine in the long run because in 3 or 4 data is when I can get earth worms.

The reason I'm advising against these foods is simply because I don't belive the frogs could digest them, adfs don't have super powerful jobs, mealies have hard exoskeletons and waxys are just fat tbh. You can probably get away with feeding a betta pellet or other fish pellet. Idealy you should be feeding a descent variety of foods, I think most will agree on that.

josh7

Okay then what about if I chopped up mealies and if not ingress I can try the pellets and if it's just fat it's just bad for them then isn't it.

soltarianknight

Waxys, and I'm sure you know this as a(reptile keeper I'm assuming is why you have these) are what youd feed as treats or fattners to reps. ADFs don't really need all that fat . Id go ahead with pellets, wouldnt want a constipated/impacted ADF on mealies, if you can get them small you may be able to chop them but they probably don't make a good source of food for the lil guys.

josh7

I just went out and borrowed 5 bucks from a friend and got some of the earthworms from petsmart are these a good diet

soltarianknight

I would aI'm for more variety. These are aquatics, they do eat aquatic foods, they are not your typical frog nor should they be treated as such. A good diet consists of multiple food sources. Try getting a frozen pack of food, normally you can get blood worms,brine shrimp in the same pack.

Lucy

Why didn't you just get HBH frog & tadpole bites which are geared for their nutrition.
I hate to sound harsh but when we buy a live animal we should be sure we have and can afford the proper foods.

josh7

Okay everyone is brine shrimp and earthworm pieces varied enough for their diet. Until I get paid on Thursday.

jerilovesfrogs

yeah, but I would def get the hbh when you get paid

-j

frogbreeder

Josh7: Sounds like you are already getting some excellent advice on feeding ADFs in this thread. I agree that things like mealworms and waxworms aren't the best foods for aquatic frogs, especially ADFs, because these foods are too difficult to digest. Yes, these foods are best left for terrestial frogs. ADFs have very delicate digestive systems and do best with softer foods. Earthworms are actually very good for ADFs (they are high in protein and contain plenty of calcium), but you definitely need to remove the fecal material and chop them into very small pieces first. It's important that the worms are free of pesticides and fertilizers (using worms sold for fishing bait isn't a good idea). And, although earthworms are a definite favourite, I wouldn't recommend feeding them as a staple diet; perhaps only once or twice a week as a treat along with other foods.

Because ADFs are predatory suction feeders (that is, they lunge at their prey and swallow it whole in one gulp), their food should be cut into very small, bite-sized pieces. A good rule of thumb is that if a frog must use its forelimbs to position the food in its mouth and help eat the food, then the pieces are too large.

Variety is best when feeding ADFs. But, if you can only give your frogs a single food, I would also suggest using HBH frog and tadpoles bites (or Jurassic Diet, or Zoo Med, etc., if you can't get HBH), if your frogs will eat them. These foods are specifically formulated for aquatic frogs and can be used as a staple diet, in a pinch, but variety is still best. Unfortunately, my frogs will not eat frog bites. i've tried several different brands without any luck. They don't seem to even recognize them as food. If they do put them in their mouth, they spit them out immediately and continue on foraging for something else. I suspect my frogs are too used to getting live or frozen foods instead, which are much tastier. So, if you do try HBH, just be sure your frogs are actually eating them (I'm told most frogs will).

Frozen brine shrimp are perfectly fine, but I've noticed that my frogs prefer frozen mysis shrimp instead. Also, mysis shrimp usually are not as messy as brine shrimp. But, I guess it depends on what is available where you live. Again, I wouldn't recommend using either as a staple diet though. Variety is important. Good luck. - frogbreeder

josh7

Okay then how do you get these frogs to eat off of plates though also I will get HBH bites on Thursday.I also will still feed them the worms and shrimp to for the variety.

Lucy

Teach them manners

Sorry, joking.

If you put their food on a plate (no paint or glaze) they should eventually find it.
However, since there are fish in the tank this may not work for you.
The fish will surely find it before the frogs do.

josh7

Okay I can just continue hand feeding them to and also how would you recommend hand feeding pellets to them

frogbreeder

I agree - if you really must keep ADFs with fish, you will likely need to hand-feed the frogs to ensure they get enough to eat. Chances are you will still end up with fat fish and skinny frogs. For a whole bunch of different reasons, single-species aquariums work best for ADFs. Perhaps, you could get them their own aquarium. They'd really like that. As for teaching them any manners, ha, best of luck! - frogbreeder

josh7

It's fat right now I am hand feeding it and it has a fat round belly still but can you hand feed HBH pellets. Also for getting them a new tank that is not gonna happen for a while.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
aquafrogg
  • Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
Replies