Adf Floating?

SuperMario20

Reaction score
Hello! I am a proud ADF ownet, as I currently have 10 frogs! I have a question. I had 2 frogs. They laid a bunch of eggs and about 10 survived to adulthood. The mom and dad died months later. One of the froglets has had a strange problem for about one whole year. She always floats at the top of the tank sideways. She is FAT, I'm assuming she eats a lot. My question: Why does she float? She literally cannot sink. I have tried to push her down before. She always floats up. She even tries to swim down and always floats back up. It's wierd. Why does she float? Thank you for reading and possibly responding.

Attachments

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
first off, congrats on your frogs!

she is definitely bloated, but it doesn't seem to be due to a bacterial infection or stress because none of your other frogs are affected and dropsy would have killed her off pretty quickly. it's amazing she's lived an entire year like that! the swollen side is probably the side her stomach is on. i'd say she was born with malfunctioning lungs, liver or kidneys, making her more susceptible to bloat. it could be she has trouble letting air out like her siblings, and therefore retains extra air and is unable to let it out. or it's a buildup of fluid.

what are you feeding them? remember that they're tiny things and don't need to eat a lot. they can go days without food, it's actually healthier for them. i would first try fasting her for a few days and make sure she eats only a tiny bit. monitor their feeding time and portions. feed her a bit one day, then don't feed her again for three days. feed her maybe twice a week only. you can separate her into a smaller tank by herself to make things easier.

regarding food, i'd stay away from anything freeze-dried, even if you soak it first in tank water. make sure any frozen food has been thawed out and do not refreeze. pellets can also cause bloating. i'd personally stay away from bloodworms as well after mine and several other people's adfs got dropsy from them.

some people use epsom salt baths to try to reduce bloat. some people's frogs will bloat up periodically their whole life. some people even go as far as trying to drain excess fluid using a needle or a tiny insulin syringe, but i wouldn't recommend doing that unless you really know what you're doing. definitely try changing her diet first, and feeding her a variety of foods if you don't already. feeding them the same thing over and over again isn't the best way to do it.

i hope things improve for her!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
couldnt have said it better if i tried!!
as for the frog, congrats on th babies i have heard its not an easy task getting them all the way to adult hood, and also very sorry to hear about your parents. best of luck here. and keep us posted

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a couple of suggestions borne out of my own not-great experience.
We usually think of bloat in adf as a liquid/fluid condition, but since she’s unable to dive/sink, I think it’s fair to assume she’s retaining air. It would likely be in her stomach, but I’m no vet so I wouldn’t rule out other possibilities.
You could remove her to a shallow clear-bottom container and do a pseudo-X-ray using the backlight. I was shocked how well it worked for me.
FE0EDB8D-EDD7-41D5-80E7-B7AB47457D17.png
I also recommend removing her to a bare-bottom quarantine tank so u can get a precise picture of what’s going in, and what’s coming out. When I did this, I knew pretty much right away my girl wasn’t pooping, and I knew to the day when she stopped eating. You can remove her along with a portion of water from your existing cycled tank, and change almost 100% water daily, again using water from the original tank. So minimal stress, without needing to acclimate.
I should have asked is this an “I’ve always wondered” question, or a “this is getting noticeably worse now” question?

SuperMario20

Reaction score
I feed my frogs once a day, sometimes bloodworms, sometimes tubifex, sometimes brine shrimp. She is very healthy and often takes breaths. All she has to do to take a breath is lift her head to the side. She is a mystery to me. She has been like this since she was a tadpole. I did what you said, and noticed that she had nothing in her left side. No organs or fat. Just a big bubble under some skin. I realized she isn't fat and just has a bubble inside of her. Strange. Her entire body is normal except for her left side. I have concluded that she has no diseases and is not bloated, but just has a pocket of air inside her. I never noticed that before. Thanks for the advice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom