ADF Feeding

Charlene789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

I have 2 african dwarf frogs in my 20 gallon tank. Theyve been with me for 2 months or so, but I'm noticing they are both getting very skinny. I try to give them blood worms and algae wafers, but my fat, greedy fish get to it all first. What's a good way to make sure my ADF's are eating well?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's one of the problems having ADF's with fish. The fish are so much quicker.
You'll need to spot feed them. Maybe when the other fish are busy eating, feed the ADF's on the other side of the tank. You can try using a turkey baster or those long reptile feeders (like big tweezers) to drop blood worms to them.
Mine are in a species only tank. It's easier to make sure they get fed.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take half a tubifex worm cube, hydrate it and break up the clump with your fingers. Dump the whole thing into the tank. You'll have worms all over the tank and the frogs should be able to snag some. Don't use a whole cube, I use a whole one in a tank over twice the size of yours.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it maybe better to put them in a smaller tank. i had two in a 10 gallon, and even feeding them in the same spot every day, twice a day, they still lost a lot of weight. when they were in the 1 1/2 gallon, they were nice a fat, and happier becuase they had less of a ways to go to the surface

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't suggest 2 in 1 1/2 gallons, there's not enough swim space My adults spent 2 years in a 5 gallon. and I had to keep a close eye on the nitrates. They recently moved to a 10 gallon.
Even if you drop the food on their heads they miss it. lol silly frogs!

Moving them to a species only tank is a good idea if they're not getting enough food.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads