ADF feeding??

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Alright so I bought 4 ADFs about a week ago.

Until yesterday none of them would eat. Yesterday I come to find one with its leg caught in the filter. Saved him and knew he wasn't going to make it. Found him dead this morning. Tested my water everything was perfect.

Last night I had also tried to feed them again. I got one of them to eat 2-3 NLS pellets and one to eat a single pellet the other didn't budge even when food landed on his head.

I'm really struggling with getting them to eat. I've tired frozen blood worms, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, and the NLS pellets.

I have a turkey baster so I would make sure the food was around them every time but they never seem interested.

Oh and they were all pretty skinny when I brought them home.

Any suggestions? I am dirtying up my tank pretty bad and I was doing 50% weekly water changes before and I've started doing daily or every other day 50% changes due to the extra food.

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

They dont have good vision so you have to put it right in front of them.Otherwise im not the person to ask.

3. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I've been having some trouble with mine as well. I turn off the filter during feeding time to get the food to sink down onto his little plate. He does well with frozen bloodworms. Sometimes he'll eat the pellets and frozen brineshrimp, but that's hit or miss...literally. I've seen some use tongs to put the food right in front of their little faces until they reach out and get it, but I can't get mine to come out of hiding when I'm near his tank.

4. Shine Well Known Member Member

Seriously, if they are that hard to feed, how do they even survive in the wild?? :eek:

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Mine actively hunt when I drop their pellets in. They squabble over food, too. Have you tried soaking their food in garlic water? Gets mine going :;nin2

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I do have galic I could use and try that but these guys just are causing me to get grey hair.

7. snapper Well Known Member Member

With mine I put bloodworms in a syringe so they're halfway sticking out, and then wave them in front of the frog's face until he goes for it. Then squirt the rest out and they can usually find them.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried *not* catering to them? Just dropping the food in and letting them figure it out themselves? Thats what I do, and mine are fat-fat-fat! They even have a betta and shrimp to compete with!

9. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Akari, yours have a sand substrate, right? I wonder if that helps because mine can't seem to find his tiny pellets if they end up on the gravel.

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I have black sand. Even when I had black gravel, though, they still did pretty good.

11. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I have no idea why mine seems unable to find his food. Just now I was cleaning it's tank and the silly frog came and jumped in his dish ready for his food. If I could have scolded the little thing I would have since I just siphoned up bloodworms he didn't eat!

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Doesn't it figure :rolleyes:

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes it takes a while for them to ge used to feeding time.
    Are there fish in the tank? Any chance they are being intimidated?

If they were skinny when you get them they could have been already ill.
    Sadly, many of them are before we get them.

14. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

They will not hunt them I tried that to begin with. I have been dropping the stuff so it falls in front of their faces.

There are no tank mates.

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If they have no tank mates, I'd just drop the food in and let them figure it out, really. Its not like some thing else is gunna get it before the do :;nin2

16. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Decomposing food in my tank is an issue.

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Remove it after a bit ;)

18. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I've done that already and they don't bother with it. I left it for an hour and then did a water change due to the extra food. They didn't eat they stayed in the same spot.

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Since they're by themselves you might want to leave it in for more than an hour.
    It shouldn't foul the water after a few hours.
    Hopefully they'll find it.

20. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Good news my persistancy has paid off, well kinda! This is a improvement atleast.

I showered them in pellets and one went nuts eating a ton and the other two each ate a pellet!

I took out some big rocks they kept hiding under and added more plants instead so I'm hoping that did the trick.