10 Gallon Tank ADF emergency - burns or chytrid?

Lazikade

Tank
10 gallon
Stocked on December 6th 2020
Sponge filter
Heated
Planted
What is the water temperature?
3 ADFs, 2 cherry shrimp, 1 amano shrimp, ramshorn snails (there were more shrimp but they got eaten)

Maintenance
25-30% WC weekly. Substrate & floating/loose debris vacuumed. Seachem prime.

*Parameters - Very Important
Cycled before stocking. Use API master test kit freshwater.

YESTERDAY 9/21/2021
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm (prob. 80ppm)
pH: 7.8

TODAY 9/22/2021
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm

WATER USED (tap)
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Feeding
Fed once every other day, occasionally every two days. Fed the following in random rotation: frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Omega One frog and tadpole, Bug Bites bottom feeder formula (shrimp and snail supplement, rare feeding), BB tropical flakes, BB Betta, BB tropical meduim-large

Illness & Symptoms
Had sick frog since Dec 24 2020 (hatch date)- he's about 9 months old.
Noted symptoms 2 days ago, realized they were serious yesterday (9/21/2021).
Dysfigured & discolored patches of skin, akin to burns. Pale, smooth, and large- across top of torso and head.
Treatment was last night emergency ~75% water change. Plan is another tonight.
Frog was crawling out of the water, excited state, refusing food, not very responsive to touch (aka didn't swim away, just kept climbing out of water). Today frog is lethargic and still, but not dead. I expect death soon but if there's a chance of saving him I will do it. Did not note or photograph the burns/discoloration very well last night as I was panicked and it was very late. I don't believe they were as bad yesterday.

The other frogs show no symptoms whatsoever.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I got worried about the baby frogs behavior and Googled it, discovering either Chytrid or parameters as a cause. I was hysterical as this is my baby and I don't want to lose him. Panicked and did a water test, discovered super high nitrate and promptly did a ~75% WC and dosed heavy with Prime to neutralize. Was unable to do another WC because I needed to sleep (exam in the morning). Classes and labs all day today, so I can only do another WC and treat the frogs (if needed) late tonight. I don't think the baby will make it until then.

The problem:
I cannot determine if his cause of death is chytrid, nitrate burns, or both. It doesn't make sense to me why chytrid would manifest now, as the frogs are all well past the manifestation period (2 months, or so I've heard)- however, I am reluctant to rule it out on my own, just in case.

The questions:
What do you think it was? What do you think I should do for treatment, if any? Is another big WC tonight a good idea?
Update 9/22/2021
Haven't done WC yet but the baby did pass. Used clove oil to make fully sure he was gone. Pale patches had worsened, and they actually peeled back to reveal fresh skin? Does fungus do that? Or was he in the middle of a shed when the nitrates got him?

otterblue

I don't have any answers but at least you're a caring owner that tried to help.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views