ADF eggs/ new spawn

Drizygirl
My ADFs laid eggs again, a different pair this time... Last time the tadpoles barely moved and I have no clue what was wrong with them. Tomorrow I should be able to see the tadpoles inside the eggs and the next day they should hatch. I have them in a breeding net in the parent's tank, a 5.5 gallon. Its a little tight, but I think I can get it to work. I'm working on getting a live culture of infuseria set up and I plan on feeding some to the tadpoles, sometimes things are given to you at just the right time... I just got some infuseria tablets from my grandpa who found them in a box of fish stuff at the dump. My grandpa is always looking for stuff for me. Now I've got like a whole bunch of plastic air stones. I hope all goes well with these tadpoles... I hope I get some adults!!!!!

Lucy
Good luck! I found breeding ADF's hard and time consuming.
Well worth it though.

This thread might help:

marijo
Good luck with the tadpoles!

Drizygirl
Thanks, with my luck probably none of them will survive. You can now see the little tadpoles One more day and they will hatch

image.jpg
This is the best pic I could take

Drizygirl
Some of the tadpoles hatched already, they seem healthy, hopefully I can get them to eat. I'm going to move all of the live ones to a section of one of my 10 gallons when they all hatch, so probably sometime tomorrow.

Drizygirl
is it normal for the tadpoles to not be able to swim very well after they hatch??

marijo
I never raised them but I think I read that they swim at the vertical, just below the top of the water, hunting for small live food

Lucy
It been a few years since I've raised any. Can't believe my babies are over 2 years old!

If I recall correctly newly hatched tads won't swim around until they are about 4 to 5 days old. Often they'll lie on a leaf or on the bottom.

In the picture you posted, they are not old enough to swim just wiggle.

Frogbreeder's guide should help you determine what to expect, what to feed and when.

Drizygirl
Ive got about 20-30 of them wiggling around in my breeding net. I put some infuseria in there and they all swam to the top right where I put it. They are so tiny right now. I read some of that thread and it helped. Thanks. I need to get a brine shrimp hatchery so I can have baby brine shrimp ready to feed them. I have a lot more tadpoles than last time. Last time I think it was 13, but I had a lot less eggs. I'm sure my female ate most of the eggs she laid but I was able to save about 30 of them. I only saw 2 eggs that didn't hatch. I guess ill have to wait to get any more male betta fish because I can't set up another tank. Maybe I could set up another 5.5 gallon, but that might be a little small... Right now I have a ten gallon open. I at least have room for one or two more females in my 20 gallon. I'm looking for a pretty red crown tail girl. I'm really hoping these tadpoles grow to adults. I'm just a little worried because I think the parents are siblings. This is the same female that laid eggs last time, but the male from last time died. Now I've got two brothers and their sister and a lone female that won't let anyone breed with her even though she is so so fat. I hope the babies don't have any health problems. If they do I'll be really upset...

Drizygirl
I've got 41 live, I found 3 dead. They are now in betta cups with 10 tadpoles per cup, except for one which has 11. They are coming to the top and blowing little bubbles. Its so cute

Lucy
How are your tadpoles doing? Would love to see some pictures!

Drizygirl
Ive only got 2 left. Their names are Justice and Dream. They are 2 weeks old now.

image.jpg
This is Dream. Justice is currently upside down. Justice will probably die, but has been doing this for a few days now. Justice still swims around occasionally though. That's how I know he/she is alive. So I'm thinking I will get one or no frogs. Hopefully Dream Survives. Also the same mother gave birth again, this time with my other male and I have 7 at one week old.

image.jpg
I am calling this group the Justice Squad. Heres a pic of two of them. I have to feed them flake food because I don't have live BBS.

Lucy
Awww..sorry you lost so many.
Can you get frozen Baby Brine Shrimp? That would be better than flakes. The pieces look very large as well.
I had that happen with two of my tadpoles. After I lost the first one I switched to a sinking food (BBS). My theory was he was feeding off the top and gulping air.
It helped. He righted himself after a day or so and grew into a cute frog.

Drizygirl
I am working on hatching some live BBS for my tadpole, I only have one left, very cute and very active. The other one seemed fine for a few days and then died this morning.

Lucy
That stinks. Good luck with your little survivor.

Drizygirl
Sadly, my last little tadpole died... At least I still have all four frogs and all 9 bettas

Lucy
Aw, so sorry to hear that.

Rpayne36
Ok my fellow Adf owners my frogs laid eggs but I have 50-60 in my filter (pic attached) how do I get them out without damaging them?

Lucy
Your little lady went from I don't feel well to now I'm going to procreate!

Can you dump them into another container or use a turkey baster to transfer them. They're very sticky so it might not be possible.

Rpayne36
I didn't want to damage them or take them out of the water should I leave them?? Would the be ok right there??

Lucy
It depends on what kind of filter it is. Can they get sucked in?

Rpayne36
it looks like this it's a whisper micro filter it's open at the top

Rpayne36
Unless I take the whole filter out and put it in a container for a few days would the tank be ok without the filter?? The last time I moved the eggs they grew some kind of cotton like stuff on the eggs so I was worried about moving them

Lucy
Oh I see. You can leave them there. They won't get sucked in. Keep in mind that the adults may eat them at any stage.

Often eggs get fungusy when there is no water movement but just as often they can go fuzzy in the tank.

Rpayne36
At it again lunch break lol!

Rpayne36
Lucy do you think this is ok for a few days? I put the whole filter in a breeding net in the tank is it ok until I see if they even make it to the next stage?

marijo
Lets wait for Lucy's opinion but I think it's a good idea that you had

Rpayne36
I was trying to mess with them as less as possible I added an air stone in the tank (a small one) to add some water movement but I wasn't sure how long the tank would be ok without the filter I still have it on but it's gonna be a few days before I can't get another filter

Lucy
Looks good to me. We do what we have to do sometimes I often use those little paper condiment cups from fast food restaurant to scoop them up then place them in a breeder net or plastic container.

It will help to get a handful of java moss or some other type of plant to throw in there. Once they hatch and their egg sacs are depleted they'll be looking for something to eat. They won't eat the plant. They'll get whatever micro organisms lie on them.
That'll be around the 3rd or 4th day.
That should hold them until you can get some Baby Brine Shrimp hatched.

Rpayne36
I have an Amazon sword in my big tank can I put some of that in like break off some leaves??

Lucy
That would work. I'd hate to see you harm your plant though.

Rpayne36
Ok are they going in the right direction??they have def changed since yesterday a lot anyway they didn't get this far last batch but just need confirmation that it's going the right way???????

Lucy
Yep, they are are going in the right direction. The eggs have obviously hatched. In day or so they'll look more like tadpoles and less like rice,

Frogbreeder put together a great sticky. You'll be better able to know when each stage is expected and what to do.
Their feeding habits change as they grow
I think we linked this before:
ADF Tadpole Development

Rpayne36
Since I don't have the filter in the water is a little cloudy I just dosed the tank with prime but I really need to do a water change but don't want to take the breeder net out of the water and the tank isn't that big any suggestions?

Lucy
Since they are really not moving around yet you can take the water down to where it is just covering the filter insert where they are hanging out.

Rpayne36
Ok I'm gonna go hopefully later today and get another filter and look for the bbs hatching kit I wanted to wait to see if they made it first before I bought it but I guess it's good to have anyway maybe my fish could have some too lol!! I'm gonna try to find a little plant too if not I'll break off pieces of my sword I will keep updating progress and I'm sure I'll have more questions thanks for being so helpful!!!!️

Lucy
One of the keys to raising tads is to make sure the new water is as close in temperature (pH etc) as the water they are in.

This is why Frogbreeder mentions the jars (see step 3) and I floated the plastic containers first in the parent take then the 40 gallon breeder.
You'd be taking the water from water tank they were floating in to do their water changes. The water will be the same at all times.
A turkey baster can be used to suck them up and put them in some sort of container floating in the main tank.
Another key factor will be nutrition.

I found raising tads to be very difficult and time consuming.
Others may not, but I did. Out of the hundreds of eggs from different spawns I was only able to raise 7 to adulthood.

It's an awesome experience though. I am so excited for you!

Rpayne36
Looks to be about 6-7 made it 2 are free swimming the rest not to far behind that's crazy all those eggs and that's all that made it I bought a live plant from the fish store from a tank looks like it had plenty for them to eat lol now I'm waiting for the bbs to hatch I hope at least some of them make it!!!!!️

Lucy
Keep us posted!

Rpayne36
I tried to get a pic of the little guys I got a good one of one of them looks like only 3-4 left. this is very frustrating

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Paper Spiders
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies