ADF & 2.5 mini-bow Question 

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hello , I thought i'd use the sun, since it's been cloudy and rainy for days. plus i'm sick. again. so I could use a little sun.

anyway, I have a 2.5 gallon mini-bow, that was home to a betta, who is now in a bigger living space. I tried shrimp, but they weren't doing well. now all that's in there are mts. I looove frogs, so I think an ADF would be perfect. questions:

*the mini-bow has a small opening in back for tank equipment....I know I would need to cover this, but how? and how to make it secure around the cords and/or the airstone tubing?

*I have sand, I read I could put a little dish in the bottom for the food to drop into. what kind of dish? it has to be small, as my tank is!

*since he/she would be the only one, except for the mts, I wouldn't need to use a separate qt right?

*would he want to eat the baby mts? (not a horrible thing hahahah)

*should I medicate anyway when I first get him? or take a chance?
x

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
awww love the adf's ...and I'm sure lucy (frog queen) can help more but heres some of my advice from having them

tape is what ive used for the holes....even around the cord area...leaving some exposed for air but not enough to fit through

little cute dishes you can get anywhere....dollar stoer is one place...just make sure they are all glass and boil them first

no need to qt as they are going to be the only one

they may try to eat baby mts if they can find them and are able to have the soft shelled ones....but not sure how good even the soft shells would be ...lucy?

IMO I wouldnt medicate any fish/animal as a precaution....meds and aquatic animals don't mix well and he will be the only one in there anyway

make sure you get pics!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use plastic mesh craft sheet to cover any openings. They can squeeze out of tiny gaps.
For one of my frog tanks, I used a tiny hermit crab dish. A small glass dish like Shawnie suggested is a good idea. A dish isn't necessary, but I think if you have sand it's a good idea. They're scavengers and most likely end up eating sand.

Be careful with the really small mts. If they swallow it, they won't be able to pass it. However, one of my frog tanks had them in his tank and my frog was ok. But it could happen.

Many people recommend treating new frogs for Chytrid since it's so prevalent in the industry and wild.

Be really careful in the 2.5. ADF's are sensitive to water parameters.

Good luck and don't forget pictures, you'll love haing an ADF.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks both of you!

yeah I know the smaller the tank, the more sensitive it can be to keep a balance. it had a minI cycle when I changed the substrate to sand. which how harmful would it be if my little frog friend swallowed the sand? if it wouldn't be the best for him, I could consider changing it.....

could I use some screen? I bought a roll at wally world so I could cover the q tank. I can cut it to any size I want. the only thing, the "duct" type I use, not name brand, comes up after a while. so i'd have to think about that.

lucy: how did you attach the craft mesh stuff? just lay it over? actually that might be better since it's heavier than screen. I have used some in the betta tank, so I know what you're talking about.

I use a turkey baster now to suck up debris....my minI gravel vac is kind of awkward in the 2.5. is this ok? and should I do bi-weekly water changes, instead of weekly?

oh the mts, should I get rid of them? I wouldn't want them to harm the frog. I like the frog more than the mts

EDIT: as I was doing a water change on the 2.5, I was just looking around and saw what I thought was a piece of food, or debris hanging on the java moss. I looked closer, it's a baby shrimp! this is crazy because I took all the adults I had back to my LFS for a trade. I was tired seeing them die! so I guess there was a baby I didn't know about. so cute

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I've read, if they ingest sand, it's small enough to pass. I have small river roack in my juvie tank and gravel in the parent's tank. Gravel could pose the same problem as mts, but again, I didn't have a problem with either one.

Screen should be fine. I used any tape I had around. Electrical tape, scotch tape...lol

With one ADF weekly changes should be fine. My 2 adults are in a 5 gallon and the nitrates rise pretty quickly. I do water changes and gravel vacs once a week to week and a half.
I can't really advise about the turkey baster. I found it's messier to feed my ADF's than my bettas. With the bettas, I drop a worm or pellet at a time and I know it's consumed quickly. With my frogs, I'd fall asleep if I waited around to find and eat the blood worms.
Tadpole bites can get a little messy. Mostly I feed blood worms.

Congrats on the baby shrimp. They are cute.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads