Adequate Tank Size?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by spencerh98, Apr 24, 2019.

1. spencerh98New MemberMember

Hi,

I currently own a 38 gallon planted tank and recently added 4 panda Cory’s and a ram cichlid in. I have been noticing these 5 new guys have been swimming up and down the walls a lot and am curious, is my tank over stocked? In my tank I have:

3 platies
    2 dwarf cichlids
    2 checkered barbs
    4 panda corys
    3 neon tetras
    1 ram cichlid

I’ve read that recently added fish sometimes behave this way but would appreciate any insight anyone could offer me. The tank has adequate levels as far as I know. Tank temperature is 80* Fahrenheit and water changes are 10% every 10 days

Attached Files:

2. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Your tank is far from overstocked, although I feel like you should up your school numbers all to least 5 (checker barbs, neon tetras, panda corys). For some reason I can't open up the image but what type of ram and what type of dwarf cichlids do you have?

3. MorosithValued MemberMember

It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but I think I see an EBR. I would definitely be curious about the other cichlids in the tank because one of those fish from this wide of a picture looks kind of like a juvenile JD, which I hope I'm wrong about.

4. spencerh98New MemberMember

I believe they’re just Africans. Petsmart had their maxed size at 4-6 inches. And the ram is a blue ram. That’s good to know about the schooling fish. I’ll go up the number of those ASAP

Attached Files:

5. MorosithValued MemberMember

I’d get those out of there. They’re going to get very aggressive as they mature. And will kill off your tank.

6. guppgirlValued MemberMember

Ditto this. Also what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? I would normally do closer to a 25% water change every 10 days. And I second upping your school's numbers to at least 5-6.

7. spencerh98New MemberMember

Oh wow okay. I was told at Petsmart that if they grew up in the tank with other fish they would be less territorial? I always take what Petsmart employees say with a grain of salt but I assumed they would at least know what they were talking about with cichlids. If this really is the case I will remove them right away. Too bad as they are my favourite fish!

8. candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

:eek: Yeah those are definitely... those two are not fit for a typical aquarium. They're pretty mean regardless, African cichlids are just innately territorial once they become of age there's no way around that or Mbuna tanks would be on a whole other level lol.

Maybe you can start a new tank just for them? ;)

9. AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Just wanted to mention that 80 is pretty warm for neons and panda corys. They prefer cooler temps (like 74-75). Not sure about the other fish. :)