Adequate Filter?

1. Simply Fish Member Member

Hello! I have a 30 gallon tank that is currently being cycled. In the meantime, I am looking at some stocking ideas. Below is my theroy list, but it is totally open to changes. I currently have a Top Fin 30 filter, if that helps. Thanks for the feedback!:)

5x female betta (sorority)
    5x silver hatchetfish
    1x rubberlip pleco
    3x amano shrimp?
    1x apple snail?
  2. DHIWZ Member Member

Looks good. I'd actually bump up the number of Hatchetfish, they're pretty shy and will appreciate large groups.

3. Simply Fish Member Member

Cool! How many hatchetfish do you recommend?
  4. Jerry Miao Initiate Member

Could add more bettas just in case they start fightning

5. Simply Fish Member Member

Could I add some ghost/glass catfish to the mix, or would that push the bioload? I have a friend who wants to get rid of hers.
  6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do it , either go with the Betta sorority which is already tricky on it owns or do a peaceful community tank.
  7. Simply Fish Member Member

Hmmm... I was worried about that. What do you guys recommend I replace the bettas with, if I choose to do a community tank?

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do more hatchetfish and a school of 8 zebra danios instead of the bettas.
    Bettas aren't temp-compatible with rubbernose plecos anyway.
  9. Simply Fish Member Member

Oops! Thank you for correcting me! Rookie mistake. Phew! Glad you caught me.
  10. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok- I have some new ideas on stocking. I decided to go with more of a community tank, so no bettas. I was thinking:
    3x Amano Shrimp
    3x Balloon Molly (1 male and 2 female, or 3 female?)
    1x Apple Snail
    1x Rubber lip Pleco
    5x Harlequin Rasbora
    Let me know if I missed something in my research! Thank you guys soooo much!
    Other info: Top Fin 30 power filter, gravel substrate, driftwood, soon to have plants (i'm not sure which ones yet!)

Should I get a marimo moss ball for the shrimp? I read that they enjoy them.

11. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Instead I would do this
    8 amano shrimp
    1 female molly (not a balloon molly)
    1 Apple snail
    1 Bristlenose pleco
    10 harlequin rasboras
    Keep around 74-75f
  12. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok... I thought the gravel would be bad for the bristlenose pleco barbels... why a bristlenose instead of a rubberlip?
  13. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Bristlenoses are more tolerant of the warmer water that the harlequins need, rubberlips like very cool water.
  14. Simply Fish Member Member

Ohhhhhh! Ok, thank you very much! I will change that. The barbels will be ok though?

Sorry for all of the questions, but why no balloon molly? (so chubby!:))
  15. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Balloons suffer from health problems due to their deformed shape. They cannot swim as fast as normal mollies and do not live as long. They can also be more prone to some illnesses such as swimbladder.
  16. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok. My bad for being so oblivious. Thanks for your patience!
  17. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok, I just caught myself from making a big mistake. I would like to have live plants in my tank, and the apple snail has a reputation for decimating them! Are their any other large-ish (one inch and up) snails that won't wreak havoc on my plants?
  18. IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

Mystery snails might be a good option.
    They come in lots of different colours too:)
  19. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok! Thanks for the imput!
  20. Simply Fish Member Member

Ok. I decided to simplify my list. All that I am going to put in my 30 gallon tank is:
    -2 Angelfish
    -1 Bristlenose Pleco
    The only problem is that I am worried about my filtration. Will a top fin 30 power filter be adequate?