Additives Needed? 100% Tasmanian Rainwater In Semi-planted Community Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie_Jules

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi I've just added (in last 2 weeks) driftwood which I've attached Java Moss, Phoenix Moss and Fine Leaf Java Fern to. I live in Tasmania and don't have access to tap water (our rainwater is meant to be the purest in the world), but I’m now wondering if I should add any trace elements/minerals to the tank as I'm sure the plants will want something extra... My tank Ph sits steady on 6.6 and usually reads 6.6:0:0:0 and hasn't changed since adding the plants or driftwood. The plants and fish all seem very happy although it's only been 2 weeks. Am I worrying needlessly? Cheers Jules

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The driftwood, depending on the species, will help slightly with some trace elements, but rainwater is pretty deficient on its own. The "easy" plants in your tank should be mostly fine as long as your lighting is low enough to keep them from trying to grow too fast.

Your plants will tell you if they need anything, keep an eye out for discolouration and rot.

If you need to supplement, try to find a complete fertilizer. Most commercially available supplements are incomplete.

Tassie_Jules

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The driftwood, depending on the species, will help slightly with some trace elements, but rainwater is pretty deficient on its own. The "easy" plants in your tank should be mostly fine as long as your lighting is low enough to keep them from trying to grow too fast.

Your plants will tell you if they need anything, keep an eye out for discolouration and rot.

If you need to supplement, try to find a complete fertilizer. Most commercially available supplements are incomplete.
Thanks Mick, I'll watch closely (OCD will win again) to see if the plants change colour or start rotting. I'll have a search through posts to try and find a "complete" fertilizer that is actually "complete" then lol - should be false advertising if they aren't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom