Additions Ideas for 20 Tall

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Yeah whenever the other gets too close to the male we identified (sunken) the male chases the other away. Is this fine? Both have gotten more darker, they have colored up more
Mine fight occationally. They chase and lip lock, but nothing bad happens. As long as no damage is done and the other has places to get away it should be fine. Just keep an eye out.
INeedHelpLol said:
Is this fine?
As long as the other one has places to hide where the other can't see it it should do fine.

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Both of them have some small blue dots on the analfin.
Is this normal?
One time the male shook his head at the female. This is courting behavior right?
The rams are kinds nippy at the others lol. Poor cories. The guppies are so curious about the stuff at the bottom and hang around therr a lot, and the rams arent enjoying that lol.

And the male does spit out lot of the stuff he takes in...
Im starting to get a bit worried.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Both of them have some small blue dots on the analfin.
Is this normal?
One time the male shook his head at the female. This is courting behavior right?
The rams are kinds nippy at the others lol. Poor cories. The guppies are so curious about the stuff at the bottom and hang around therr a lot, and the rams arent enjoying that lol.
Yes they have spots on the analfin. The male will twitch/shudder when courting the female. Could be that they will breed for you. They like to dig in the substrate to place the wrigglers and they sift substrate when eating, so the larger gravel isn't ideal. Shouldn't be too much of a problem, but sand is best, followed by smaller gravels.

INeedHelpLol said:
And the male does spit out lot of the stuff he takes in...
Im starting to get a bit worried.
Rams do tend to spit out. They chew food, but could also be due to problems. Mine do spit out food too, especially when its larger pellets. Its quite normal. Does he go back for the food that he's chewed and spit out?

Try feeding frozen bloodworms. He should go for that no problem, hopefully. What do you feed?

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He has a sunken belly
He tries to go back to the food a lot of the times
And i feed them pellets and they look a bit big.
They are both very active and dont hide much which i think is a plus
I havent seen him actually eat a sizable food though.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
He has a sunken belly
He tries to go back to the food a lot of the times
And i feed them pellets and they look a bit big.
They are both very active and dont hide much which i think is a plus
I havent seen him actually eat a sizable food though.
Does his poo look long, stringy and white? I have never experienced internal parasites myself, but his belly shouldn't be caved like that. Could be that he hasn't been fed for a while. Try him on the food and if that doesn't work, or if he begins to show symptoms of parasites, action would need to be taken. Research into internal parasites in fish and compare symptoms and such with your fish.

If he goes back for food he's likely getting something. Just breaking it down into easier pieces. Try him with frozen bloodworms to get him definitely eating. Could try smaller pellets and flakes too if they would be easier than the pellets you have.

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gotcha. Will keep an eye on him. Ill update when i get more info about his status

I witnessed both them shaking their heads at eachother, but then one of them chased the other awaythey are hilarious.
I think they broke up lol. The female shoos the male away whenever he gets too close. Sometimes they are okay, but its funny to see this behavior.
The tables have turnee

I witnessed both them shaking their heads at eachother, but then one of them chased the other awaythey are hilarious.
I think they broke up lol. The female shoos the male away whenever he gets too close. Sometimes they are okay, but its funny to see this behavior.
The tables have turned

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
The tables have turnee
Even when in breeding mode they can be a bit pushy. Usually the male will block her and try to keep her in the area he wants.
The whole shooing and chasing is how they are. Their interactions are cute imo. Not so cute if it's a particularly aggressive ram.

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep ahah
Thing is they both nip at the other fish like the dwarf gourami and the guppies. Maybe something is going on?
Its especially apparent during feeding
The other fish just try to take their food, so the rams nip and them and shoo them away lol.
They remind me of people

And i dont think i should be worried about it. When the female chases the male, the male returns back a few.
Im guessing as long as its not one sided its fine

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Yep ahah
Thing is they both nip at the other fish like the dwarf gourami and the guppies. Maybe something is going on?
Its especially apparent during feeding
The other fish just try to take their food, so the rams nip and them and shoo them away lol.
They remind me of people
My rams never really bother fish. When they have eggs and fry they will dash forward slightly to scare away fish trying to eat them. That's it. As long as the rams don't hurt other fish and it isn't too bad it should be mostly fine. Just make sure nobody gets very stressed.
INeedHelpLol said:
And i dont think i should be worried about it. When the female chases the male, the male returns back a few.
Im guessing as long as its not one sided its fine
If one of them was having a problem you'd be able to see a drastic change in behaviour. Some people have rare aggressive rams that will kill other rams. Not very common. Mostly they get on just fine despite some small displays.

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heres a little pic ofthem
1. The female
2. The male
3. Both of them

Fed them today and they both ate. Im starting to worry less now

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bolivians, one of my favorite. They are very personable and come up and "Greet" me when I approached the tank (actually they are just begging for food). Such characters and I liken them to puppies. I have raised hundreds and the sparing that occurs is mostly just posturing, no real harm especially the youngsters. You have gotten some 'Good" advice, as mentioned by Feohw it appears you have some courting behavior going on. They will lip lock and tail swat each other. My pair were fine with corys and guppys. Here is a pic of the pair, be on the look out for eggs.

Enjoy and Good Luck!

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Those are some beautiful rams!

Quick question for it to be internal parasites does the feces need to be completely white or clear? Bc my male ram has mostly normal feces, brownish coloe but there are some sections of the poop (its like a small stringy thing if ya know what i mean) that are white.
This is fine rite?

I hope its not problematic..

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Quick question for it to be internal parasites does the feces need to be completely white or clear? Bc my male ram has mostly normal feces, brownish coloe but there are some sections of the poop (its like a small stringy thing if ya know what i mean) that are white.
This is fine rite?
As far as I know normal poo with stringy segments are as a result of constipation. Your guy is underweight. I have been under the impression that parasitic poo would all be white and stringy. Though as I have no experience with parasites that could be wrong. Maybe start an illness thread to ask people with experience. Then more people will be able to say as to whether it is or not. Pics always help too. Definitely not good he's that skinny. Does he look any different now he's been eating?

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gotcha

He looks a bit better now, to be honest. Hes not lazy, discolored or anything. Heres a pic og him
The third one is the female

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Quick question about their color- my male had black edges on his fins- lemme show ya
Theyre on his "hand-fins"

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine have dark pelvic fins at times.

Any more breeding action? And he still isn't acting off?

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah theyre still playing wit eachothers feelings. Yesterday i witnessed courting behavior between both of them.
Hes eating now
He looks a bit better right?
The first one is the frmale
The second one is the male

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Yeah theyre still playing wit eachothers feelings. Yesterday i witnessed courting behavior between both of them.
Hes eating now
He looks a bit better right?
The first one is the frmale
The second one is the male
He does look a bit better, unless that's just the angle of the photo. Keep him eating and hopefully he'll fill out.

INeedHelpLol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hopefully, indeed. Ill keep a special eye on him, infact, ill assign my right eye just for him! Meanwhile, ill keep my left eye reading the replies on this thread and my other one regarding possibility for disease

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Hopefully, indeed. Ill keep a special eye on him, infact, ill assign my right eye just for him! Meanwhile, ill keep my left eye reading the replies on this thread and my other one regarding possibility for disease
Could you get another pic of the female and her breeding tube?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom