Additional Tank Mates For Big Cichlids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My cousin is planning to add more fishes in his tank and his asking me what else could he add with his pacu, 2 oacars, 2 parrot and 2 plecos. His fishes don't bother each other, probably because they been together for a long time..
I'm aware of the possibility of over stocking when they're full grown but he said it'll be fine as long as he transfer them to a much bigger tank when it happens.
He prefers unique looking additions in his tank like mexican salamander, dragon fin, gar and/or crayfish.
Do you think adding these guys will be alright or what?
Also what else do you think can he add?
Thanks..

OP
Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If there's already a possibility of overstocking why is he thinking of adding more fish? What size tank? What kinds of pleco?
I know right..
Sometimes his way of thinking rather odd.. XD
His also kinda new at these, his only been fishkeeping for less than a year and I'm no expert as well so I decided to ask here in the forum for more professionals' opinions.
Currently his his been using a 50g tank and his planning to upgrade to 100g or 80g when it got crowded.
Bristlenose plecos, 1 albino and 1 that's not.

OP
Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Without more information, it's hard to make suggestions, except--PLEASE tell him not to put an axolotl in there. It won't go well. Here's some more info on that (scroll about halfway down to where the heading says "Fish":

Aztec Axolotls
His really thrilled on how salamander looks and moves around.. Also after seeing this picture online he bacame more in to it..
maxresdefault.jpg

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The oscars will eat the axolotl's external gills. The plecos may suck on its slime coat, or the axolotl may try to eat them, and could be injured by their armor plating. It's cruel. Please tell him why it's a horrible idea.

OP
Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The oscars will eat the axolotl's external gills. The plecos may suck on its slime coat, or the axolotl may try to eat them, and could be injured by their armor plating. It's cruel. Please tell him why it's a horrible idea.
Hahah.. Sure..
All I'm waiting for is good reasons that will convince my childish cousin.. XD

TwoHedWlf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know right..
Sometimes his way of thinking rather odd.. XD
His also kinda new at these, his only been fishkeeping for less than a year and I'm no expert as well so I decided to ask here in the forum for more professionals' opinions.
Currently his his been using a 50g tank and his planning to upgrade to 100g or 80g when it got crowded.
Bristlenose plecos, 1 albino and 1 that's not.
And he's planning to upgrade to a 1000 gallon tank in the next year or so to house a 3 foot pacu?

OP
Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok so the salamander is out of the question.

Assuming he did upgrade.. XDD
Then what do you think about his other prefer additions? and others that may be capable.. (if there are) XD
Thanks..

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Severum, i added a baby one in with my two larger parrots and hes been fine and growing nice, the parrots leave him alone but are confrontational to each other i also have a male and female white convict, this is just what works for me though i say the severum because they are very peaceful and in my oppinion an amazing graceful fish. All comes down to them parrots though as they are so unpredictable unless he has more than one tank for separation incase things dont work out id say no more fish.

vikingkirken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TwoHedWlf is correct that he's basically going to need a pond for the pacu. So no, I wouldn't add anything else until he has that sorted out.

Without the pacu... @tyguy7760 may have some advice about tank size and tankmates for the remaining stock.

OP
Cholo Anderzon

Cholo Anderzon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hahah.. Ok i give up.. The pacu is a really big holdup.
I'm just trying to help since I know I can't give a flawless opinion so I tried to ask opinion in the forum. But I guess it's not a very good idea as well.
But anyway thanks..

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yeah not sure I can help here. It appears your cousin's desires and reality aren't exactly matching up. The "salamander" will die with cichlids. Straight up. If the cichlids don't kill it, the water requirements are vastly different and the warm temperature for the cichlids will kill it in short order.

Crayfish and other inverts are also not good for pacus or any large cichlids as cichlids will likely eat them. Pacu's also reqire very good filtration.

If you can provide dimensions of the tank with current stock we can suggest alternatives/additions if appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.2%

Top Bottom