Additional Stocking Help 20 Gallon Tank

1. j_hebert_88

j_hebert_88 New Member Member

Hello again everyone. I have another question for your expertise. I am currently waiting for my tank to finish cycling with Tetra Safe Start. I currently have 4 guppies, 4 neon tetra, 2 peppered cories, and 9 ghost shrimp. I am not going to add anything else until it is completely cycled but was wondering how many more neon tetras i could add safely without overstocking my 20 g. (24"x12"x16"), and how many I should add at a time to not throw off the cycle. Thanks again for all of your help. I have learned so much over the last couple months.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

once the tank has had a full week or even 2 weeks of a good cycle, I would say you would be ok with adding 4 more tetras....I hope the cycle goes well for you and your fin babies!!!!!!

3. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

Thanks, I just lost one of the small tetra. When the tank is completely cycled if i do get another 4-6 neon tetra, do i add them all at once or do I add 2-3 then wait a week or two and add another 2-3?

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

tetras have a small bioload..but adding a few at a time is ok also..because you have some there already....im sorry for the loss of one of them :( good luck with the rest!

5. OP
    OP
    j_hebert_88

so it would be ok to add them all at once

6. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry your neon didn't make it.

I think you could add them at once, but you should wait a few weeks. Neons like a tank that's a little better established. But if I were you, I would add 3 neons and another cory.