Additional Live Rock

1. Vision Initiate Member

can you add more live rock at any time? I plan on adding more as I go along, will a piece or two at a time cycle and be fine? Or should I set up a separate tank to cycle it. I have a 45-50 gal tank

2. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

It may cause hiccups in your tank's cycle. When live rock is removed from one tank and added to another there is bound to be some die off of the BB which can cause an ammonia spike. That said, people do it. I would cure the rock in a QT first if at all possible... it would protect your stock from the possible spike.

3. Vision Initiate Member

That's what I was thinking, but with adding like 1-2 at a time, legit like once a month (it's kind of a paycheck to paycheck tank lol) maybe it would be ok. I'm kind of looking for an excuse to take my spare like 15-20 gal and turn it into a QT tank but I need to get a heater first. Long term I want to eventually add coral but that's a long ways from now.

4. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

I hear you... just added my first coral about a week ago. I would just keep an eye on parameters and only stock one hardy fish until you get there. You may just need to do a few extra water changes and keep Prime handy.

5. Vision Initiate Member

I have two small damsels in it right now, they will probably be the only fish for quite some time until I feel super comfortable with everything. We have a castle on one side that they love! I'd like to get a snowflake eel to live under the castle Lol but I definitely want more live rock it just seems so bare right now

IMG_0114.JPG

6. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Nice tank! Yep, I would add lots more rock... 1 - 1.5 pounds of rock per gallon can provide enough filtration where you may not even need the HOB for your nitrogen cycle. They are still good for mechanical or chemical filtration though.

You know, you can supplement with some dry rock too. It will colonize and become live as well. Could save you some pennies.