Additional filter media for AC

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by el337, Jul 8, 2015.

1. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

For anyone that owns an AC HOB, which filter media do you think is the more effective to add 2 of - the foam or the biomax?

I know when the first month passes, some people get rid of the carbon insert and add either one of the above. Looking for advice on what to add besides a prefilter sponge.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would get more biomax. You can never have enough biological filtration and the prefilter should add to mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Was thinking that too. Would I just put one right on top of the other or have the sponge in between? Or does it not matter?

Yes I'm getting the prefilter that goes over the intake.

4. Dom90

It doesn't matter, I just cut the mesh bag that comes with it big enough to fit the whole basket above the sponge.

5. OP
    OP
    el337

Great, i'll use that method. Thanks!

6. Dom90

I think I forgot to address something. In the AquaClear filters, the water goes from bottom to top. So you want the sponge to do most of the cleaning, therefore it should be on the bottom.

7. OP
    OP
    el337

hmm.. ok, i was also planning on using old filter media to jump start the new one. should that go on the bottom first, then foam, then the 2 biomax?

8. Dom90

What kind of filter media is the old one? Sponge?

9. OP
    OP
    el337

it's the aqueon cartridge which i was planning to cut open, throw out the carbon and use the floss which holds most of the bb.

10. Dom90

I used to have both brands of filters so I know what you mean. Is there a way that you could shove that whole cartridge along the back wall of the basket and rearrange the other media in front of it?

11. OP
    OP
    el337

i can try but what would be the advantage of keeping the old carbon and plastic of the cartridge? i thought the carbon was useless after a month. i remember from my other thread that someone said to use the floss as that had the most bb.
    if i can't fit the whole thing in, which layer would be the most effective - top, mid, bottom?

12. Dom90

I meant after you cut the carbon out. Shove the white cotton-looking filter floss thing along the back wall. The blue plastic thing is absolutely useless. I even threw mine away when I was running the Aqueon filter on one of my earlier tanks lol.

13. OP
    OP
    el337

Ok i re-read my thread and CindiL's post and she suggested to put the floss on the bottom. Makes sense since the water coming from the bottom will hit the old media first and then spread it to the new. Forgot about that.. ugh, my memory. The floss is thin enough so it should fit w/o putting it against the wall.

14. Dom90

Yea you could probably fold it real thin. Once your tank stabilizes though, you could just remove that filter floss and get more ceramic media.

15. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I use sponge on bottom, 2 bags of ceramics stacked one on top of the other in all mine. When I was jump starting one I used the outside floss from the old filter cartridge, i just folded it flat and sandwiched it between the sponge and ceramics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. OP
    OP
    el337

Thanks, how long before you took the old floss out?

17. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

About a month give or take.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. OP
    OP
    el337

So I added the prefilter over the intake tubes and now I see all this debris and leftover food sticking to it which I guess is the purpose. But it's kinda gross and I have an urge to take the turkey baster out and suck it out every time.

Would it be better to just take it out and let the debris and junk get sucked up in the intake?

19. Dom90

No because the junk would get trapped in the impeller or pump and force it to work harder over time... Not sure you'd want that. :)

20. OP
    OP
    el337

That's true. Ok I guess ill be making good use of the turkey baster. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice