Additional Cichlid Tankmates

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently got 2 male Kribs to go along with my Rosy Barbs, Cory Cat, and Algae Eater. I had to return the smaller Krib as he was being totally harassed by the bigger Krib. I have plenty of hiding places but the bigger Krib seems to patrol them all. I have plenty of room to add a few fish and I'm looking for some advice on additional Cichlids that would be compatible. My LFS told me that Altispinosa's (Bolivian Rams???) might work out OK. I have hard water and high pH so traditional Rams (ie. Blue Rams) would most likely not be a good fit for my environment. I'm down to two Rosys as my largest one (about 4 inches) died last night. My Rosy's have been a mainstay in the tank for almost 2 years. Any suggestions on suitable tankmates would be appreciated.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are your water test readings? I'm not sure the Krib and the rams will get along.
Carol

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need to get the Master test kit. I've been using the test strips thus far and have been OK. I do however, have a pH test kit. According to the test strips, my Nitrites & Nitrates are just fine...around zero. The water is hard...somewhere between 200-250. As for the pH, the test strip is saying over 8...more 8.4 The pH test kit says between 7.2 & 7.6...let's say 7.4. I'm figuring more like 8. It is the local water...It's very hard and the pH is very high. The high pH and the hard water don't seem suitable for Rams. I don't want to start playing guessing games with my fish. I've read so much out there and just don't seem to have any clear-cut answers. I know that I NEED to get the Master Test Kit. That will be happening next weekend. I appreciate your help.

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I went to the most awesome LFS I've ever been in this week and the folks there seem to be very knowledgeable. They have about everything you can possibly want in the store and have been in business for many years. We talked alot about Assorted African Cichlids as they like hard water and high pH. Issue is that they can grow to 6-8 inches which is not suitable for a 30 gallon tank. They did have a huge selection of shell dwellers called Lamps (various specific kinds of Lamps) which they said could work out well in my tank but that I'd probably need to get rid of my Cory Cat as they will most likely kill him. They probably won't mess with the Rosy's as they are much bigger than the Lamps. I do have a gravel bottom as opposed to sand but was told that it would not be a problem for the Lamps. Any feedback on Lamps?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom