Addition Suggestions For 10g Tank? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kat11, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Kat11Valued MemberMember

Hi! My tank finally cycled after 6 long weeks. 3 weeks ago I added 2 male endlers and 2 honey gouramis. One gourami never ate, seemed to have swim bladder difficulties, and eventually died 8 days after adding him The other 3 fish are thriving, though, and I'm ready for additions! 25% water changes each week, moderately planted, and parameters have been steady at:

Temp: 77°F
    pH: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5.0 (but no matter how hard I shake and slam the bottles, my test is typically 10(!) lower than LFS)
    KH: 3°
    GH: 6°

Question 1: what should I add? Of course it must be happy in 10gal with my current parameters and fish which likely limits my options.

I'd love a bottom dweller(s) who is ok with a gravel substrate but I'm open to all suggestions. I would like red cherry shrimp but not sure they'd do well in my tank?

Question 2: is my honey gourami ok as a singleton?

(I've also been considering chili rasboras or or something like that, or more endlers.)
    Thanks!

2. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

You could do cherry shrimp, maybe start with a group of 5-6 and make sure they have plenty of hiding spots. That way they can breed quick enough in case the gourami decides it wants some expensive food. For another bottom dweller you could add a school of 4-5 pygmy corys. The gourami should be fine by itself.

3. GiulWell Known MemberMember

I had cherry shrimp and Pygmy cories in my 10 gallon and I must say I like the shrimp a lot more. My pygmies weren’t too active in my 10 so I moved them to my 20 and they’re happier now. That being said I never expected to like my shrimp as much as I do. I’m constantly checking for berried shrimp and the day I spotted my first shrimplett was way too exciting. My honies ignore my shrimp too so that’s a big plus (back then I would’ve been so angry to have lost a shrimplet).

Do you happen to know your gh/kh? Cherries do prefer harder water

4. Kat11Valued MemberMember

Yes, I added crushed coral to a media bag to hang in aquarium because it was low in KH, and it brought my KH to 3° and GH 6°. pH is 8.0.