Adding White Cloud Mountain Minnows to 55G Tank with 4 Fancy Goldfish?

mohawk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is is a good idea to add a school of 5 White Cloud Mountain Minnows to a 55 Gallon tank that already has 4 Fancy Fantail Goldfish as its residents. The Goldfish are about 2~2.5 inches in size without fins. 1 maybe nearly 3 inches. The tank is cycled. I have an AC70 and AC30 for filtration. From what I have read, the WCMMs bio load is very low, and maybe 20 are needed to match a single Goldfish's bio load. I am very particular about PWCs and do a 25% water change every weekend.

I realize there is a chance that once the Goldfish get bigger they might make a snack of the WCMMs.

Any suggestions?

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you'd be ok. The % of your tanks' bio load that 5 white clouds would represent is almost negligible and space doesn't appear to be an issue.

crazycatlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is it a good idea? IMO no, I personally think that goldfish should only be kept with other goldfish. Additionally your tank is already pretty stocked with the four goldfish you have once they grow to full size.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there a particular reason to not put white clouds with goldfish assuming the bio load could be handled? I've always read that they were generally compatible.

Matt B

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you'd be fine adding them. As stated, compared to the goldies their bioload is nil imo. I would just make sure you don't end up with 200 WCMM from the original 5. My sisters fancies are uninterested in them and I think they would have a hard time catching them anyway but to answer your question, yes, there is a chance the goldies will eat them.

crazycatlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I guess I'm just wary of putting any other fish with goldfish because of the bioload of the goldfish. Since they're generally compatible (I didn't know they were) I say go for it if that's what you want to do.

Matt B

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's good to be cautious of bio load demands when goldies are involved imo. They are messy, large bodied fish so I'd rather people err on your side of the fence than the other

On a side note, I'm adding a school of WCMM's to my pond which has comets and commons this spring after they didn't eat a few I put in previously. My goldies are 9" plus and are not locomotion compromised like fancies so I think you're pretty safe.

OP
mohawk

mohawk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all.

OP
mohawk

mohawk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I moved 5 WCMMs to my Goldfish Tank from the 10G tank that they were in. It didn't go to well. The Goldfish for the first few minutes totally ignored them, and then the big one started to chase them. As expected, it was too slow to catch them. But to my amazement, the other 3 joined the chase. It became sort of interesting as they actually ganged up and sort of flanked the WCMMs and pinned them to a corner. I had to intervene with my hands to get them to swim away. I took the WCMMs out and back to their 10G tank.

This is just weird behavior from the goldfish. Were they just curious or actually hunting?

Matt B

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Belkar Bitterleaf said:
They were hungry.
Very possible, on the other hand, whenever I add new fish to a tank the current inhabitants normally come and inspect the different fish in their environment.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom