Adding water during cycling

1. jglove276 Member Member

I am 38 days into my first tank cycle and still waiting. :;fru My question is would adding water to replace what has naturally evaporated effect the cycle? Also what is a commonly used brand water treatment or dechlorinator?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

do you need to replace the water? I'm not sure, but I would think that with less water during a fishless cycle, it just concentrates the ammonia and nitrites, but that wouldn't matter much?

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You can top off the tank, no problem.

If you're cycling with fish, add water (same temp) and use Prime to detox any ammonia in the tank.
    If you're cycling with TSS and fish, you can use a any dechlorinator (that doesn't detox)
    If you're cycling using any other method, just use any dechlorinator.

I like Prime and Stress coat.

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You can top off the tank if need be. wont hurt anything. IMO I have to top mine off once the water starts splashing into the tank. Drives me nuts so to say! lol Also since you are doing a fishless cycle crank that temp up to 84-86. It will speed it up. ;)

I use Stress Coat as my main water conditioner.

USE; An effective water conditioner for the removal of chlorine, breaking of the chlorine/ ammonia bond (in water containing chloramines) and adding an aloe slime coat.

It also removes heavy metals.

Source link:
    http://www. /2007/04/aquarium-water-conditioners.html

5. jglove276 Member Member

What does Stress coat do?

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's a water conditioner that removes Chlorine, Chloramine and detox's heavy metals.

7. jglove276 Member Member

I see, thanks Lucy you and others have been so helpful in this wonderful adventure. Don’t know what I would do with out all of you.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Aww, you're so welcome. :)
    Aren't the members terrific here? They're always willing to share experiences and give a helping hand.

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

StressCoat also contains AloeVera which is good for fish's slime coat, but I think Lucy likes it because it keeps her hands soft and pretty!