Adding To School Question

1. ChrisA Initiate Member

Hi. I currently have 3 Corys in a 30g, but understand they are more comfortable in larger groups so I'd like to add 2 more. Question is... if I only buy 2 more and put them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank for a couple of weeks, does it stress them out to be in too small of a school for that time? i.e. is it ok to add a small amount of fish if they are not isolated for too long?

I'll have the same issue if I want to add more Cardinal Tetras... i.e would it be ok to add 3-4 more and keep them in isolation tank for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

If it's only for a short period of time they will be fine. It is so important that fish are quarantined. If you do not quarantine them for long enough you are putting your old 3 in danger.

3. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I had a cory that was alone in a tank for 4 months and still acted normal. Just introduced another 4 now and he is getting along fine with them, though they are not the same species of cory. So to answer the question, yes yours will be fine ;)

4. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

They are fine in a small tank like this temporarily for a few weeks. Keep in mind that there needs to be at least 6 in a school and they have to all be the same species.