Adding to a 20 Gallon Tank

Fish20G

Hi, everyone. First time posting. We have a 20 gallon (high) tank. It is well established and have had it about 2.5 years. We originally stocked it with 5 red tetras (Serpae Tetras) and 3 platys. Early on, we thought the red tetras were a little aggressive with the platys. Over the next 2 years, the platys and some of the tetras died. We were left with 2 red tetras and not sure how to rebuild from there. We decided we really liked to color of the red tetras and built them back up to 5 total a few weeks ago. The tank remains stable and we want to add more fish. There are also five plants and a tall (but not deep) rock sculpture to swim through that bubbles. One circle air stone in the back corner. Plus one small pineapple to swim through. Bottom is gravel.

One thought is to try the platys again...how many should we try there (note - we aren't interested in managing baby fish!). Other thoughts were neon tetras, cardinal tetras, red eye tetras, or black skirt tetras. We want them to be happy, comfortable and active, and for sure do not want to overstock it. Maintenance plan is 25% water change per week, gravel vac every third week. Filter is Marineland Penguin 150. We keep two carbon cartridges in it, and some floss in the pre-filter. Every week or two, one of those media gets changed.

Any suggestions for a fun, active, healthy tank?

As a completely random side note, I tried this weekend to change out the filter for a Penguin Pro 125 (feels like there might be too much current sometimes?) but the strainer hit the bottom and could not adjust without getting rid of the mid-level flow adjustment. I was going to go for it anyway, but then realized the biowheel on the existing wouldn't fit the new so I stopped, not wanting to disrupt too much as once!

Thanks for reading and appreciate any suggestions and feedback :)

BigManAquatics

Serpaes can be tough to stock with because they can be quite nippy. Maybe try some cories or something with them instead. May not go after bottom dwellers so much :)

Fish20G

Serpaes can be tough to stock with because they can be quite nippy. Maybe try some cories or something with them instead. May not go after bottom dwellers so much :)
Thank you! We like those and like that idea. And this confirms my suspicion that the red serpaes can be sort of tough. One follow-up question... do you think the copies will be happy with gravel on the bottom? I never even knew sand was an option when we first got started. I had a 10 gallon tank as a kid and gravel was all I knew. I've thought about swapping out but seems like it could be very disruptive to the stability of the cycle. Thank you again :)

BigManAquatics

As long as it isn't real sharp they should be fine.

Chris1212

A couple other bottom dweller options that would do fine with the gravel are peacock gudgeons and hillstream loaches.

Lots will tell you that hillstreams need a specialty tank (cool, high flow) while others will say they just need to be acclimated and kept in clean water and they can be in a regular community. I've had my two now in a mostly tetra community 20g (penguin 150 plus a small sponge filter) and they are doing great.

Fish20G

A couple other bottom dweller options that would do fine with the gravel are peacock gudgeons and hillstream loaches.

Lots will tell you that hillstreams need a specialty tank (cool, high flow) while others will say they just need to be acclimated and kept in clean water and they can be in a regular community. I've had my two now in a mostly tetra community 20g (penguin 150 plus a small sponge filter) and they are doing great.
Great ideas... thank you!

BigManAquatics

The gudgeons might get nippy right back at the tetras too, so that works as well! The cats keep unsuccessfully trying to make a snack of my gudgeon fry.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views