adding tap water to filter? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by scotty b, Dec 7, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i have a lard wet dry/sump and would like to do top offs in the sump with a hose if i add prime in the sump tank then pour water in will it bind the chlorine in time or will the tap water kill mt bb?

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi scotty,
    It is my personal opinion that one should always add a dechlorinator to all water going into a tank.

How much water are you replacing? If it can be prepared in a bucket, I would fill the bucket, add dechlorinator, then add to the tank.

Also, depending on the volume being changed, you should always try and match the temperature.

I'm pretty sure other members have no problem adding tap water directly to their tank, on the provision that the tank is well established. Personally, I don't like this approach, but hey, some members have no problem with their cycles applying this method.

If you're going to add directly to the tank, if it were me, I would treat the entire volume with the dechlorinator (Prime), if you pre-prep in a bucket, you can just treat the volume in the bucket.

My 2c.

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

im thinking in the ballpark of 30 gallons i loose 5-10 a week evaporation ant i want to swap out 20 gallons my system holds about 81 gallons +or-

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

That seems about right for a 55G system. I lose about 1-2% a day in my reef, multiply by 7 days, let's round it to 10%. But I top off daily (salinity).

My FW loses about 0.5G a week, on a 20G system (I have a glass lid on it).

You could certainly top-off and water change in one hit, but I wonder what it would do temperature wise. If you can match temperatures, I'd go for it, and just treat the entire volume with Prime.

5. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I always prefer to treat the water before I add it. Whether it is dechlorinator, PH, Hardness etc...

Just to make sure it is treated before it is added, so there is no chance of messing up the system.

6. OP
    OP
    scotty b

7. Lunas

LunasWell Known MemberMember

For you i dont think the amount of chlorine would kill all of the bacteria before prime or whatever did its job. People use python style water changers all the time and pre treat before they add new water it doesnt kill their cycle i dont imagine it would mess yours up and since you are putting the water into a sump you would not need to worry about temp so much as most sumps have the heaters in them.

for people with out a sump

I have been toying around with an idea for a water change supply container. I was thinking about getting the following.
    1x 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can
    1x submersible pump
    1x heater for up to 30 gallon
    1x air pump with air stone to turn the water
    i would then keep the 30 gallon mostly full and turn the heat on about a day before i did my water changes with a sump you could omit the heater from the design but then again this ends up as a crude sump to begin with. With 30 gallons i would have enough to do 50% of my 29 10 and 20 gallon tanks before needing to refill the can.

8. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

Supposedly the dechlorinator stuff works on contact, so adding the prime in a quantity appropriate for the tank first is fine.

I always do my water changes with one of the aqueon changers that attach to my faucet to suck the water out and put it back in. I have REALLY gassy water when I take the aerator off the faucet to attach the hose and once had one of my fish get an air bubble in one of his fins after a water change, so I now put the prime into the tank and stick the hose end into a cup and let it slowly trickle out from there at water level where I dosed the prime. I've never had issues with my cycle doing it this way.

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It works on contact. The chlorine is not going to kill your BB that quickly. I wash my media in chlorinated tap water - the bacteria colonies don't skip a beat. The bacteria colony in an established tank is all but bullet proof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice