Adding Tap Water Into Tank

Lucas Diaz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, ive been reading and have been getting many different answers on this question and was wondering if some people could help out.
When doing a water change in a tank with fish currently in it, how long do you have to let the tap water sit for the chlorine to go away? This is with adding a conditioner to the water.
Thanks!

Chaory

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can either add a water conditioner like Prime etc into the tank first, then add the tap water. Just make sure it's around the same temperature. Either that or if using buckets etc, you can add the right dose to the tap water first, then wait for a few minutes, then dump it in. If you go the first route, just make sure to dose for the entire tank size.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, ive been reading and have been getting many different answers on this question and was wondering if some people could help out.
When doing a water change in a tank with fish currently in it, how long do you have to let the tap water sit for the chlorine to go away? This is with adding a conditioner to the water.
Thanks!
Usually the amount of time is printed on the bottle of conditioner, but generally it starts neutralizing the chlorine immediately. Some people even add the conditioner to the tank as they refill it with a hose attached to their faucet. What brand of water conditioner are you using?

NinjaPanda

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it mainly depends on what conditioner you're using. I have one where you have to wait 30-45 minutes, and another that is nearly instant. When in doubt wait 30 minutes is my experience

BettaBliss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As far as I know, if tap water is conditioned, it doesn't have to sit before being added to the tank.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I personally let my tap water sit for more than 8 hours before I use it but that has nothing to do with the water conditioner I use. My city's water has many tiny micro bubbles (CO2) in it and the water comes out of tap milky white. After a few hours the bubbles start to release(off-gas) and gather on the sides of my 5 gallon container. It also generally takes chlorine 8 hours to evaporate from tap water, so that's an added bonus but not necessary when using a conditioner anyways.

It's a personal and purely aesthetic choice that I've made, because I don't like all these micro bubbles covering the entire inside of my tank (which happens if I don't let it sit for a few hours). Here's a picture of my water jug that I just filled up a few hours ago. You can see all the tiny bubbles on the inside (even though it looks like water droplets on the outside). They've already began off-gassing and escaping through the whole in the lid.
IMG_1862[1].JPG

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never let my water sit. I use a tank filler (basically a hose). I add Prime to my tank, turn my Python on and fill the tank. When I don't use the tank filler. I just dose Prime in the filled bucket and add to the tank immediately. No need to wait.

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used to let my water sit 8-12 hours but then when I read the bottle instructions more carefully, it said "instantly" so now I just get water, add dechlorinator, and the water goes into the tanks. Fish have been OK since.

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I personally let my tap water sit for more than 8 hours before I use it but that has nothing to do with the water conditioner I use. My city's water has many tiny micro bubbles (CO2) in it and the water comes out of tap milky white.
Gas coming out of solution can actually be dangerous to fish as it forms gas emboli inside the fish. The larger the water change and the colder the water, the greater the danger. I always heat and dechlorinate outside of the tank and then refill in stages. I also test for chlorine just in case the water company has any surprises.

Nanologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gas coming out of solution can actually be dangerous to fish as it forms gas emboli inside the fish. The larger the water change and the colder the water, the greater the danger. I always heat and dechlorinate outside of the tank and then refill in stages. I also test for chlorine just in case the water company has any surprises.
Well, this is extremely good to know! o_O

Glad I've been letting my water sit for 8+ hours (usually more than 24). I purely did it for aesthetics though...

Thanks, I knew I started following you for a reason!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom