Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it a 2 foot cube? If so then the Hydra 26HD will be plenty unless you are planning to grow some of the most difficult corals in the hobby. One of the things to keep in mind is that many corals actually prefer a medium light intensity. That means that it is possible to have too much of a good thing, so to speak. I would only go with the hybrid lighting if you are dead set on some very demanding SPS corals. To put this in perspective, as a test I took one of my hydra HD26s and turned it sideways so it was facing the wall over 30 feet away in my wide open living room area, I turned out all the lights and cranked up the Hydra to max and it turned the entire living area to daylight. Obviously this is not the same as growing corals, but it does give you an idea of how intense/bright these lights can be.

Last edited:
OP
Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is it a 2 foot cube? If so then the Hydra 26HD will be plenty unless you are planning to grow some of the most difficult corals in the hobby. One of the things to keep in mind is that many corals actually prefer a medium light intensity. That means that it is possible to have too much of a good thing, so to speak. I would only go with the hybrid lighting if you are dead set on some very demanding SPS corals. To put this in perspective, as a test I took one of my hydra HD26s and turned it sideways so it was facing the wall over 30 feet away in my wide open living room area, I turned out all the lights and cranked up the Hydra to max and it turned the entire living area to daylight. Obviously this is not the same as growing corals, but it does give you an idea of how intense/bright these lights can be.
Thank you I am very happy to hear this...I dont know I went through a lot of posts with people saying that one 26 wasnt enough but after putting it on I only have it at around 60 percent and that's not even counting acclimation settings I put on for the next 2 weeks...

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I run mine on the 18K setting (recommended by my LFS which has a focus/emphasis on corals). I believe the levels are at about 65% for most on that setting.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you I am very happy to hear this...I dont know I went through a lot of posts with people saying that one 26 wasnt enough but after putting it on I only have it at around 60 percent and that's not even counting acclimation settings I put on for the next 2 weeks...
One of the things people often forget is that different corals have different demands. As mentioned above if you were growing some very demanding SPS Corals then I would say that the T5 addition would be worth it, but with Softies, LPS (ie Euphyllia, etc.) or some of the easier SPS it's overkill.

OP
Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just keep an eye on them. If they appear to be doing well, I think you will have your answer on the lighting. You do seem to be running pretty heavy on the blues there. Love the look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 19.6%

Top Bottom