Adding T5s To Hydra 26 On 60 Cube

Ernest Sacco
I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to add an additional pair of t5 bulbs to my 60 cube to boost color and sps growth... I was looking at these

I just worry that my new hydra won't be enough to get good growth

Jesterrace
Is it a 2 foot cube? If so then the Hydra 26HD will be plenty unless you are planning to grow some of the most difficult corals in the hobby. One of the things to keep in mind is that many corals actually prefer a medium light intensity. That means that it is possible to have too much of a good thing, so to speak. I would only go with the hybrid lighting if you are dead set on some very demanding SPS corals. To put this in perspective, as a test I took one of my hydra HD26s and turned it sideways so it was facing the wall over 30 feet away in my wide open living room area, I turned out all the lights and cranked up the Hydra to max and it turned the entire living area to daylight. Obviously this is not the same as growing corals, but it does give you an idea of how intense/bright these lights can be.

Ernest Sacco
Jesterrace said:
Is it a 2 foot cube? If so then the Hydra 26HD will be plenty unless you are planning to grow some of the most difficult corals in the hobby. One of the things to keep in mind is that many corals actually prefer a medium light intensity. That means that it is possible to have too much of a good thing, so to speak. I would only go with the hybrid lighting if you are dead set on some very demanding SPS corals. To put this in perspective, as a test I took one of my hydra HD26s and turned it sideways so it was facing the wall over 30 feet away in my wide open living room area, I turned out all the lights and cranked up the Hydra to max and it turned the entire living area to daylight. Obviously this is not the same as growing corals, but it does give you an idea of how intense/bright these lights can be.
Thank you I am very happy to hear this...I don't know I went through a lot of posts with people saying that one 26 wasn't enough but after putting it on I only have it at around 60 percent and that's not even counting acclimation settings I put on for the next 2 weeks...

Jesterrace
I run mine on the 18K setting (recommended by my LFS which has a focus/emphasis on corals). I believe the levels are at about 65% for most on that setting.

Jesterrace
Ernest Sacco said:
Thank you I am very happy to hear this...I don't know I went through a lot of posts with people saying that one 26 wasn't enough but after putting it on I only have it at around 60 percent and that's not even counting acclimation settings I put on for the next 2 weeks...
One of the things people often forget is that different corals have different demands. As mentioned above if you were growing some very demanding SPS Corals then I would say that the T5 addition would be worth it, but with Softies, LPS (ie Euphyllia, etc.) or some of the easier SPS it's overkill.

Ernest Sacco
Jesterrace
Just keep an eye on them. If they appear to be doing well, I think you will have your answer on the lighting. You do seem to be running pretty heavy on the blues there. Love the look.

Latest threads

Top Bottom