Adding Substrate

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by MTSRandy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MTSRandy

MTSRandy Valued Member Member

Hello. I want to know what the easiest proper way to add additional substrate to my tank. When I originally set it up I didn't lay a deep enough substrate for my plants. I've bought more but am unsure how to proceed. The tank has been cycled and stocked for a couple months now. Any help is appreciated.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I've never done this, but I imagine you'd drain the water quite a bit to minimize clouding, then slowly pour the new substrate in where you want it, maybe with a cup or something that allows small amounts at a time. If you're adding a lot, you may have to slightly pull up on the plants after substrate is added, so they aren't in too deep.

3. OP
    OP
    MTSRandy

I was going to rescape it. Should I mix it with the current substrate or just lay it over top? I'm trying not to make a giant mess lol

4. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

If you mix it you're going to have a mess. Haha! If it's sand, just rinse it and cup it in like -Mak- said. It'll mix on it's own as you move everything around. Either way, you're going to being changing water on it after, so make sure to shut off the filter before trying to add anything. As soon as you start moving substrate you'll soon see all of the detritus you thought you had vacuumed out or cleaned up.

5. OP
    OP
    MTSRandy

Ok thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice