Adding Stability just in case? Question

1. Dark Sky Member Member

Just a quick question here, I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I'd be safe and check in anyway.

I've been setting up a new tank today, and making big changes in the old one. There is a lot of fresh water around, new substrates etc. The tank with the canister I'm sure will be fine, but I'm wondering if I should play it safe with the one with a small submersible. I've got a small bottle of Seachem stability, I'm going to dose both tanks (for as long as this bottle will allow), there's no danger in that, right? I just want to make sure my bacterias are getting the best chance of remaining healthy and operational!

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If it were me, I would not use the Stability and I'll explain my line of thinking on why.

While there have been some members who have used Stability and claimed that it cycled their tanks, it seems that there have been many more members who claimed that it did not cycle the tank. I have no personal experience with Stability, so I am just going on what I read here over the years.

The problem with most bottled bacteria products is they do not work. I do know Tetra SafeStart works from personal experience, but sadly I'm pretty sure it is not available in Australia. Many people have said that Dr Tim's One & Only works and I believe it does since he is the man who developed Tetra SafeStart. I do not know if Dr Tim's is available in your country.

So anyway, the bottled bacteria's that do not work (and I'll lump Stability in this group just because of concensus) is that they do not contain a self sustaining form of the bacteria. So the bacteria will process ammonia and nitrite for a week or so, but after that time it starts dying off, leaving you uncycled. But while it is alive, it prevents the naturally occurring, self sustaining bacteria from developing.

So my fear is that by adding Stability, it will initially start processing ammonia and nitrite, but by doing so will starve out some (maybe a lot) of your self sustaining bacteria. Then once the non self sustaining bacteria does off, you will no longer have enough bacteria and you'll get an ammonia/nitrite spike.

So if it were me I would not add the Stability, but instead just do some partil water changes with Prime if your ammonia/nitrite levels start to rise.

Of course, if Stability does contain self sustaining bacteria...well I spent all that time writing for nothing.

So really it is up to you, but best of luck no matter what you choose.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Good explanation jdhef, said it far better than I ever could.I'll just add that I'm not a fan of using any chemicals, meds or bottled bacteria prophylactically as I think it stores up trouble for later on

4. Dark Sky Member Member

Thanks for that great explanation jdhef, makes perfect sense. I'm fairly confident I'll be fine, I had thought is would just be a little insurance... But then, I hadn't realised it worked in quite the way you described (I thought it set up home and BECAME the resident bacteria, rather than just band-aiding).

Thanks again!

5. DaniosRock Member Member

I have used Stability successfully and it would work fine to help your filter maintain or increase a BB colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum